Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i just installed Red Hat Linux 7.0. I got it from a book. when i shutdown, it says it shuts down all these other things ok, but it gets to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem on shutdown

i just installed Red Hat Linux 7.0. I got it from a book. when i shutdown, it says it shuts down all these other things ok, but it gets to "Sending all processes the TERM signal", then suddenly starts rapidly printing "iput: inode 00:02/536871175 count wrapped" on the screen multiple times. i have left it for 20+ minutes, and it keeps printing that. i dont know what is wrong. my linux distro is installed on a second partition on my hard drive, with 30 gigs to itself, with the first 30 allocated to my WinXP pro installation. please help.

Linux Guru
    If I remember it correctly, dev 00:01 is for pipes and 00:02 for sockets. I still don't why it happens, but when I check my kernel source (version 2.4.20) the cause of that error seems to have been removed. Therefore, if you upgrade your kernel to the latest version, you should get rid of the problem. See http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html for info on how to compile the kernel.
    You should be aware that RH7.0 is like two years old or more, so you might want to think about downloading 8.0 instead (it is free, after all). That way you'll also get a later kernel easier.

Just Joined!
    thanks. i know about RH8, its just that im on a proxy, and i cant FTP, and Red Hat doesnt have HTTP downloads for their isos. i resorted to downloading on Kazaa, but it will take months. thanks, though, for the help. im gonna check that site right away. in the morning. its like 3 am here.

Linux User
    if you want i can mail you some 8.0 CD's, or possibly setup a DL for you from work over the holidays - what is your connection speed?
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux User
    or since i took 5 minutes to find an open port you can DL it from my cable, and i dont have to hear about it at work i could stick in on my http easy enough
    majorwoo

Linux Guru
    You should be able to FTP passively anyway, though. I think the unix ftp client does that by default.

Just Joined!
    thanks, but i got it from a HTTP site. it took me about 3 hours on my crappy cable modem. thanks for the offers, though. i just installed it, and setup that new boot manager, and the problem is gone. i think it was because of where i installed it, because of an error message in my logs i didnt find till a couple days ago. something about LBA32 and the 1024 hard drive sector.

Linux Guru
    What kind of proxy are you behind, btw? Is it your own or is it your ISPs?

Just Joined!
    my system is connected to the internet through my dads computer, and he is running proxy software to share the connection. but my browser isnt configured correctly for FTP. dont know why.

Linux User
    so have you tried configuring it yet?
    majorwoo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast