Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anybody please help me out. I have just installed mandrake 9.1 and i am trying to mount my FAT32 partition so that i can play my mp3's. Mandrake seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting Help in Mandrake 9.1

Can anybody please help me out. I have just installed mandrake 9.1 and i am trying to mount my FAT32 partition so that i can play my mp3's. Mandrake seems to have done it for me but i cant access the folders on the partition in Konqueror or any of the file mangers. But when I use the bash prompt i access the folders and their contents. This what my current /etc/fstab/ looks like:

/dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0
    none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0
    none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,ro 0 0
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,ro 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0
    /dev/hdb5 /mnt/win_d2 vfat user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

the only thing I can think of is permissions. Have you checked those out?

If it was permissions you would totally be locked out not just be able to access the drive via CP and not a GUI. But i cant really help but it sounds like the kernel suppoorts reading FAT32 so are you sure you are mounting it properly.

Have you noticed you said the FS is FAT32 but on your fstab it says you are mounting it as a NTFS partition

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I know what your problem is.

Launch the Madrake Control center (login with su password). Then acces the Driver mounts and partitions tool. Select your drive and partition you are wanting to access.
    Click the TOGGLE EXPERT MENU. An OPTIONS button will appear. Select options and check the box that says USERID. This will give standard users access to partition and the ability to mount and umount the partition.

Click done. Then access the partition you mounted.

Just Joined!
    Indrid thanks for the help, i tried it and i still could not display the contents of drives. One of the things i noticed is the there was no userid box to be checked, what i saw was just USER, i still ticked it and the option slected three other options. This is really baffling me. Got any more ideas i can try? I am using Mandrake 9.1 if that will help

Thanks to OL man for the command line option i will be using that too but i am really tring to get the GUI option to work because i need to access some files on that partition.

I really appreciate the help thanks guys and more help will be welcome

Thanks guys