Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm trying to add an application to the Gnome applications menu. The procedure I am following is as per the literature; Open Nautilus Type "applications:///" in the location ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding an application to the Gnome menu

Hi all,

I'm trying to add an application to the Gnome applications menu. The procedure I am following is as per the literature;

Open Nautilus
    Type "applications:///" in the location box
    Right click on the menu

At this point I believe I should have an option "Entire Menu -> Add new item to this menu" but this does not appear.

I tried cutting and pasting the application into this window, but I get a warning that the destination disk is read-only.

Any hints as to what I'm missing?

Thanks,
    MH

mc1
    Just Joined!

add .desktop file

I had the same problem with Fedora Core 3

From the Fedora FAQ:

>>>
    If you really want to change things, the menu items are ".desktop" text files in /usr/share/applications/. You can edit them in a text editor (like gedit) if you are root. You can use a command-line utility called desktop-file-install to add new .desktop files you create yourself. If you want to know how to write .desktop files, you can either look at the existing ones in /usr/share/applications, or you can read the (somewhat technical) .desktop specification.
    >>>

I created a .desktop file from an existing item in the target category. Ran

desktop-file-install --vendor=Z newitem.desktop

it seems vendor is only used to make the name of the item unique.

Just Joined!

Re: add .desktop file

Thanks mc1 - I had to put this one on the backburner for a while as I simply couldn't locate the documentation which explains the menu protocol. Your post was ENORMOUSLY helpful in locating same.

After a brief bout of RTFMing I spent a morning hacking the menu system and think I've pretty much got the feel for what's going on.

My GUI menus will never be the same again!

Many thanks
    MH.