Find the answer to your Linux question:
There is one issue in UNIX that's starting to annoy me seriously, namely that you can't hard link directories. Of course I understand why this would be impossible, but is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Directory links

There is one issue in UNIX that's starting to annoy me seriously, namely that you can't hard link directories. Of course I understand why this would be impossible, but is there no equivalence?
    Say that I have the directory "pub" (or public_html, for a more general example) in my home dir. Is there really no way of "sharing" this with other users (e.g. linking it to /tmp/my-pub) without setting exec permission on my home dir? Can't you make symlinks that don't check perms when extratraversing?

Linux Enthusiast
    the newer mount program can rebind a directory somewhere else, in effect doing the same thing. I don't know if it is 2.5.x specific, but try to read the mount man page, it probably has more info.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    Yes, now that you mention it, I've seen that too. Good idea. I think it was incorporated into 2.4 in 18 or 19, too.
    But isn't there a more portable way, and one that ordinary users can use without the help of suid root programs?