Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am considering switching to either RedHat or Mandrake from Windows. I, however, can't afford cable or DSL right now. What ISPs provide access for linux users? I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dial up internet provider for Linux?

I am considering switching to either RedHat or Mandrake from Windows. I, however, can't afford cable or DSL right now. What ISPs provide access for linux users? I have a small hard drive and REALLY don't want to dual boot.

Linux Guru
    if your in the UK, you can try uklinux.net, but really any ISP which offers dialup internet access (not AOL) should be able to work with linux.

Jason

Linux User
    Your choice of ISP has nothing to do with what o/s you run on your machine. The important question, is whether your modem is supported under the distro of linux you are planning on using. Check out the website for each and see if your hardware is listed. Keep in mind that winmodems are quite difficult to get working under linux.

If you encounter any problems, tell us more about the hardware in your system and we'll be happy to help out!

P.S. Welcome to these boards!
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    My modem is a Creative Modem Blaster Flash56 PCI DI5630-4, which isn't listed on Mandrake at all. I couldn't find the hardware page on RedHat at all. What other Linux systems are good for a newbie?

Linux Guru
    The redhat HCL is available here: http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/

Have a look through some of the other posts on the forum, best beginner distro's have been discussed quite a few times.

Jason

If I remeber correctly, the only two major ISP's who doesnt support GNU/Linux is Earthlink and AOL.
    Also, you can check this site for info about winmodems and such..

good luck