Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ello All, i hope this is a right place to put this topic in, but hopefully since it is one of the most viewed sections here, then someone will come ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Boot Splashes

Ello All,
    i hope this is a right place to put this topic in, but hopefully since it is one of the most viewed sections here, then someone will come along and be able to help me out ... and maybe others as well. I've been looking around and i found something called "boot splash" Which from what i understand is like a screen splash when you first login and everything, but instead for the entire computer when the computer boots up. hence the term "boot" splash. anyways ... has anyone sucessfully installed one of these for RH8 or 9? if so .. please give me some tips on how to. cause i love customizing my computer and Linux, and anything to make my friends who use Linux be like ... "wow QD, thats spiffy", then i am all about it. So any and all help would be greatfully appreciated by myself, and maybe others who have the same questions and aspirations to make their boot screen pretty too.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Linux User
    I think I saw from another post of yours that you're using KDE, right?
    Check out http://www.kde-look.org/, I think you'll like it. From here you can grab themes, wallpapers, splash screens, etc. You'll have a spiffy gui in no time.

How to install a splash screen
    1. Open konqueror
    2. Create the directory ~/.kde/share/apps/ksplash/pics
    3. Browse to ~/.kde/share/apps/ksplash/pics
    4. Move and uncompress your new splash screen file into the konqueror window
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Linux Newbie
    lol. 'Lo again CopperTop. Yea, thats where i found out about boot splashes and the other things ive been looking at. I must say, i love that website. i go to it everyday i can. i was just seeing if anyone had done it before and could help me out with it. cause their installation procedures are for Screen Splashes, which are cool as well.

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw
    i love that website. i go to it everyday i can.
    Ha! So that's why I keep getting a server timeout whenever I go there.

Linux Newbie
    lol could be. me and kde-look.org are best friends now a days. all it took was a ring and a promise to remain faithful to KDE.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw
    cause their installation procedures are for Screen Splashes, which are cool as well.
    Sorry, I thought they were boot screens.

Have you tried this one: http://www.bootsplash.org/ ?
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

that's pretty cool, I'll have to try that...

Linux Newbie
    hrmm. no i haven't. ill have to check that out and see if i can find any useful information. and then pass along any and all good words to everyone else on here. Cause in my own opinion, boot splashes are pretty spiffy.

I might be wrong but is this what you want ?? http://hints.linuxfromscratch.co.uk/hints/lilo.txt

Linux Newbie
    That could work Ol Man. I'll check that all out when i get home from work. so your link and www.bootsplash.org will have my attention tonight. Yay!