Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Linux users, I am installing Linux RH 9.0 on a compaq presario 2500. I am facing a usual problem while Startup, but I am unable to resolve it. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux startup problem

Hello Linux users,

I am installing Linux RH 9.0 on a compaq presario 2500. I am facing a usual problem while
    Startup, but I am unable to resolve it.

When installing linux I had installed with a LINUX NOFIREWIRE option. When starting up it hangs up
    While trying to bring up the 1394 driver.
    This seems to be a common problem ,and I have the google'd and found the solution too. One needs to
    Edit the modules.conf file,deleting the 1394 firewire line and switch off kudzu. But I am not
    Sure how to do it. Your help would be appreciated.
    FYI, I am unable to use the INTERACTIVE STARTUP,inspite of my repeatedly pressing
    "I" it continues to ignore me.

How do you get hold of MODULES.CONF file,before even booting with linux.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Sushanth

Just Joined!
    Hmm. i would try Browsing the cd in windows , and opening it with notepad or wordpad

Linux Guru
    i think with redhat 9 you have a "recovery mode". put the CD into the drive at boot as if you are going to install again, when you get the prompt which says "boot:_ " i think it says on the screen what to type to get into repair mode.

From repair mode, there should be a way to quit and go to a prompt. It is there, but ive forgotten where

you can then use an editor such as "vi" to modify the files you said.

I manged to do all this the other day, but i was just doing it without thinking to solve a problem, rather than doing & thinking to store the information in my brain, sorry if that is a sketchy description.

Jason

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close