Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
If you installed GRUB allright, then you must have partitioned your hard drive correctly. The GRUB bootloader cannot be put on an NTFS partition (you probably have this on your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

If you installed GRUB allright, then you must have partitioned your hard drive correctly. The GRUB bootloader cannot be put on an NTFS partition (you probably have this on your windows system)

Before the default timer times out and starts booting to windows, or whatever, press 'c' on your keyboard. This puts you into command line mode. Try typing one or more of the following:

find /vmlinuz
    find /boot/vmlinuz
    find /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.30 # or whatever your kernel version is

If any one of these commands responds saying the the file is found on some drive, then congradulations, you have the linux kernel on your system. The 'find' command searches all partitions for a certain file. I'm not sure what the kernel is named on Fedora, but as far as i can tell, there has always been a /boot/vmlinuz file.

Depending on which partition you installed Fedora on, type in something like the following to boot to linux--

root (hd0,0) # if the partition of Fedora is on your first (first meaning on the primary IDE bus, and having its jumpers set to 'master') IDE hard drive *hd0*, and on the first entry in the master boot record *,0*
    root (hd0,4) # if the partition is the first entry on an extended partition on (hd0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 root=/dev/hda1 # if your kernel is named /boot/vmlinuz and the partition where you installed Fedora is (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 root=/dev/hda5 # if your kernel is named /vmlinuz and you installed Fedora on (hd0,4)

boot

That should be about it, but to understand the weird naming syntax, like (hd0,0), you should really read the manual. You can get Fedora Core on your boot up list too, just read the manual. (BTW, I have Red Hat 8, and the text file from which GRUB loads the menu (/boot/grub/menu.lst), is symbolically linked to /boot/grub/grub.conf

Check here for the GRUB manual if you still have problems: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

If you still can't get things working after reading the manual, you might as well go with a Live CD distro like Knoppix. Don't despair, it took me awhile to get used to GRUB.

Linux User

Re: Bootloader

Quote Originally Posted by weaselsrck
    I don't think the bootloader installed so how do i ghet fedora to dtart all i get is a boot list with Windows Xp and GRUB on it and GRUB is something else so how do i get Fedora on the list.
    It may have worked fine, just set XP as the default. Press down when grub appears to see if you can select fedora

Just Joined!
    Sorry this reply is so late but my computer crashed thanks to Windows.

<--- Linux Avatars rock --->

Thanks to windows i had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows.

Fedora is on my other hard drive so that was safe and sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2