Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
alrite i had to install that som' ***** my self so ill run you through it. here we go 1 log in as root and move the file you downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

alrite i had to install that som' ***** my self so ill run you through it.
    here we go
    1 log in as root and move the file you downloaded to the "/" directery so that it will be easy to get at later on.

2 restart linux in fail safe mode ( not in to the x windows server (gnome or kde)) you should get the option to at the start when grub or lilo loads up.

3 as soon as it loads up cd to the directory that the file is in (just type "cd" then the directory) (thats why i told you to move the file to "/" so it would come up at the start)

4 type "dir" and see if your file is there (just in case) and then type "sh" and then the file name of the download then a installer will come up and youre done!

thats what i done and it works but i got the ia64 file but i imagine there should be no difference between the way its done.
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Just Joined!
    I followed the Nvidia tut from linuxquestions.org.

When I run the driver file I get :-

Error: Unable to find the system utility 'ld'; Please make sure you have the package 'binutils' installed. If you do have binutils installed, then please check that 'ld' is in your PATH.

How do I check for binutils?

Where do I get it from and How do I install it When I get it?

Thanks.

[Edit] I just downloaded binutils 2.14 and the latest GCC gcc-3.3.tar.gz Is this the only file I need?
    If I install GCC does that contain binutils? Or should I install both? I would like a c++ compiler.

Sorry for all these questions I'm an old git

And error when I try to install GCC :-

Code:
    [root@localhost gcc-3.3]# ./configure
    Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld host.
    Created "Makefile" in /usr/local/files/gcc-3.3 using "mt-frag"
    ./configure: line 8: cc: command not found
    *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
    *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

If you're having trouble installing GCC check out this topic.

As for the XF86Config file. IT should look something like this

Section "Device"
    Identifier "NV AGP"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "nvidia"
    BusID "X"
    EndSection
    then mchange any references to vidoe device to NV AGP or whatever you chose to call it (it shouldn't matter as long as they match. As for the BusID, maybe someone else can help me here, as I forget the command that lists the id number of the bus ports...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ahh i was having this problem aswell ages ago is this also a problem on redhat9? if not ill try redhat9 out, im on mandrake at the moment

Just Joined!
    Lol this is why i dont like Linux. no EXE!!! IF they can code a OS why cant they make drivers that you just open and they isntall??

Quote Originally Posted by csabo2
    Lol this is why i dont like Linux. no EXE!!! IF they can code a OS why cant they make drivers that you just open and they isntall??
    except for dependencies, that's what an RPM is. I haven't used it much, but I almost like how gentoo and debian handles programs more than windows does.

Just Joined!
    I simply put in one of my linux cd's (cd 1 Mandrake/rpms/ Binutils and gcc rpm's) Installed fine.

Installed and set up the nvidia within 5 minutes after that.

Quake 3 runs... Without crashing and at a good framerate (1024x76 without agp!! (unless it's enabled by default)

Thanks Guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2