Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have used this command to add a path to my $PATH but it is not permanent how do i make it permanent? PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/firefox this adds it to the open ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How do i put directories into my $PATH permanetly (SOLVED)

I have used this command to add a path to my $PATH but it is not permanent how do i make it permanent?

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/firefox

this adds it to the open console but once closed it dissapears from path when i do: cat $PATH...I'm trying to get it so i can just type firefox instead of going into: /usr/local/firefox and typing ./firefox. this is where i installed firefox.

thanks for your help.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

hal
    Just Joined!
    open $HOME/.bashrc and add there:
    Code:
    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/firefox"

awesome that worked like a charm thanks a lot!
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

hal
    Just Joined!
    how can a guy install gentoo and donīt know this?! lol
    (i couldnīt install gentoo:/ )

that's funny. I could install Gentoo because of the wonderful support provided by the handbook and this great forum. There are so many little things in linux and I learn something new everyday...such as $PATH. Tommorow will be something different. Thanks for your help. And if you need help with Gentoo ever I'll be here to return the favor.

hal
    Just Joined!
    i'll sure try again when i have more time. actually, i didnīt get to install it because lack of time, so i skiped and boot mdk again... next hollydays ill download 2005 and put this baby (my laptop) on fire!