Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I've just borrowed a Linux book from my library (Everyday Linux printed 2001) To TRY and learn from. I read about installing files and the book says ONLY ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about RPM's

Hi All,
    I've just borrowed a Linux book from my library (Everyday Linux printed 2001) To TRY and learn from. I read about installing files and the book says ONLY Red Hat Linux can use rpm's Is that right? I'm using mandrake 9.1
    Does that mean when I download files I should only get .gz or .tgz files?

Thanks

RPM's are mainly only used by Mandrake, RedHat, and most of the systems based on those two ones.

Just Joined!
    So I should be ok then

Thanks

i dont know if this is true or not but isnt mandrake based on redhat as well. if this is true then that make rpm's work on mandrake. well actually i know that rpm's do work on mandrake.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

From what I remember, Mandrake is more corel than anything else....well, besides mandrake that is...

Linux Guru
    many distro's use RPM's as a primary method of installation. In the early day's it was just redhat, as they developed the RPM system.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Well after looking through the book I can honestly say It's a load of crap

I've learnt more here than I have from it

I managed to find some linux books on kazaa. I'll have a read of these. If there's one that stands out then I'll buy it.

Linux Newbie
    yea ... forums are helpful when learning Linux. and as for mandrake rpm's, you can always go to sourceforge.com and do a search for the program you are looking for. then when you choose the file to download, you can find some made especially for MDK, cause they will say something like Mandrake Cooker in the side tab, and also 9 times out of 10 also have *.mdk*.tar.gz as the filename. (sorry its ugly, but thats the best i can remember from my Mandrake days)
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.