Find the answer to your Linux question:
I hear every body saying mounting a floppy disk and so and have heard about the mount command which does this 4 us. But I am still ignorant of what's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Want a detailed description of mounting

I hear every body saying mounting a floppy disk and so and have heard about the mount command which does this 4 us. But I am still ignorant of what's mounting and why windows doesnt require manual mounting(or it doesnt uses mounting). Please clarify me

Banned
    Auto mounting exists for Linux as well...
    As for "mount" see man mount.

Linux Newbie
    Automount is posible in Linux by entering the required line in the file /etc/fstab, that shows the devices currently set to be automounted. On the other side, the file /etc/mtab shows the currently mounted devices in the system.

In order to automount your floppy, you need to add the required line, see man mount as jens suggested.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: Want a detailed description of mounting

Quote Originally Posted by jerinj13
    I hear every body saying mounting a floppy disk and so and have heard about the mount command which does this 4 us. But I am still ignorant of what's mounting and why windows doesnt require manual mounting(or it doesnt uses mounting). Please clarify me
    There is no such thing as "c:" or "d:" units in Linux. Everything is on the same tree with "/" as the root directory. So whenever you want to use a file system (on a floppy, cdrom, HD, USB key, ....) you need to tell the kernel on which directory to "mount* this file system. It's like linking a file system on a device to a directory in your dir tree. So for ex, if you plug a USB key, you have to mount the file system on the key on a directory of your choice so that you can read the content. Get the idea?
    Now like mentionned above some distros have automount capabilities, that are picking a folder for you and automatically mount your device once you plug it.
    Hope that helps making it clearer for you.

As a bit more of a clarification...

Windows has separate drives for each device. Floppies are A:\ and the main hard drive is C:\.

Linux is like a surge protector. Everything is in one big body. That's your hard drive. But that's only the hard drive! If you want to access, say, a floppy disk, you have to plug it into the surge protector, which is the Linux filesystem.

Every device has a certain file associated with it. Floppies, for example, are /dev/fd0. So you might run a command saying:

Code:
    mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    This takes the device at /dev/fd0 and plugs it into the folder /mnt/floppy. Similarly, to unplug the item, you run:

Code:
    umount /mnt/floppy
    There are 2 files associated with mounting:

/etc/fstab

This is an explanation for the system explaining how to mount each device. For example, my USB drive (/dev/sda1) has the following line:

Code:
    /dev/sda1            /media/usb           auto       noauto,users,rw 0 0
    This takes the device at /dev/sda1 and plugs it into /media/usb. The filesystem type is determined automatically. It will not be mounted automatically or on a system startup, it is mountable by all users, and all users have read and write permissions.

/etc/mtab

This file contains information on what filesystems are currently mounted on your computer. You won't modify this one manually, I don't believe, but I suppose it can be useful to look at at times.

I hope that helps some!

Just Joined!
    so if i have it set to auto instead of noauto it will mount automatically when i plug it in?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by towel401
    so if i have it set to auto instead of noauto it will mount automatically when i plug it in?
    yes
    Portability is for people who cannot programme