Find the answer to your Linux question:
Bleh, from the looks of it i'm the biggest newbie here. Or i should be trying to work on smaller things. Anyway, I'm trying to configure Ubuntu to run multimedia ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Multimedia

Bleh, from the looks of it i'm the biggest newbie here. Or i should be trying to work on smaller things. Anyway, I'm trying to configure Ubuntu to run multimedia well. Seeing as i cant right now and that's one of the HUGE things i do on the computer. I even have my server set up to hold music.
    So, I read this guide: http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-25783.html
    And it helped me out quite a bit. I even got Gcc flex and things.
    But now, when i go to open a file in Mplayer. i find the file add it to the playlist and hit "Play" This is the error i get: "Audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy."

And just to clear things up. Mplayer does play Mp3's...Right?

Thanks for your help, guys. Sorry I'm such a newb.

Edit: Right after the error happens, its starts playing.but i cant hear the sound.

Just Joined!
    Add yourself to "audio" group (file /etc/groups)
    And yes, MPlayer DOES play mp3. It does actually play a hell lot of stuff

And if you're a newbie I'd suggest you use Totem of Kaffeine to play videos, and xmms or amarok for audio. Much easier than mplayer (less powerful but not everyone needs all the bells and whistles).

Just Joined!
    Bleh, I am such a noob. Can you explain a little more. how i "add myself" to the group. And i havent gotten any audio or video running in anything so far. So i'm gonna try this and then see if it will work on xmms, Because xmms looks freakin cool as for video's that's another project. I dont have much right now for videos anyway.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned

Re: Ubuntu Multimedia

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth
    Bleh, from the looks of it i'm the biggest newbie here. Or i should be trying to work on smaller things. Anyway, I'm trying to configure Ubuntu to run multimedia well. Seeing as i cant right now and that's one of the HUGE things i do on the computer. I even have my server set up to hold music.
    So, I read this guide: http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-25783.html
    And it helped me out quite a bit. I even got Gcc flex and things.
    But now, when i go to open a file in Mplayer. i find the file add it to the playlist and hit "Play" This is the error i get: "Audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy."

And just to clear things up. Mplayer does play Mp3's...Right?

Thanks for your help, guys. Sorry I'm such a newb.

Edit: Right after the error happens, its starts playing.but i cant hear the sound.
    As already been posted, Ubuntu has a very nice and complete guide for these things:

http://ubuntuguide.org/

As for a video player(Xine), just do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-plugins w32codecs xine-ui
    Audio(xmms):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xmms
    DVD(Ogle):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ogle-gui

Just Joined!

Re: Ubuntu Multimedia

You can try another audio output (ao) while playng your mp3 file.
    For a list of available outputs, type into the terminal (the shell):

mplayer -ao help

and to use:

mplayer -ao NAMEOFTHEAO file.mp3

hopefully it is gonna work with one of them.
    regards,

Lucas Malta