Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've read about Linux, and talked to others about Linux, but never actually "taken the plunge" into Linux. Well, I had a couple copies of some old (now) versions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need password to login first time, never set a password

Hi, I've read about Linux, and talked to others about Linux, but never actually "taken the plunge" into Linux. Well, I had a couple copies of some old (now) versions of Linux, and was trying a random one on an old Pentium 1 machine just to get a feel for it. Well, I installed, taking the default options when possible, and when the machine rebooted, it came up asking me for a login and password. I have the standard documentation that is on the CD cover for this one, but it says nothing about a password.

My question is: is there a default password that you have to use before you actually setup anything? Or did there use to be on older distributions, say 7-10 years old, possibly?

The installer never even asked you to set a root password? Odd.

What distribution are you using?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Try....

Have you tryed using login user as root with no password. If that works then I would change the password ASAP. To do that one would do passwd if you where loged in as that user. But really if it works and your not using the computer for anything important and if it is not connected to the internet then really does not matter for the root password. And be carefull with root you got full permissions, you can do anything you want, even chown /, which I though in theory wouldnt work, but it does.
    Anyways then I would make a new user which should have limited permissions. And a key thing to remeber is try not to do things as root like running servers or login into programs as root, just a general rule of thumb.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Which distribution are you using?
    Can you boot it up into text-mode?

Just Joined!

Distribution

I don't remember off the top of my head which distribution it is, but I can check after I get home, and get back to that. I'm guessing that will not happen until around 6 or 7pm Eastern Standard Time (U.S.). I'll check then, and post back. As far as text mode, I haven't the slightest of how to try, as I've never done anything in Linux, only read about, talked about, and did have one person show me a few things in a couple newer distributions - but nothing technical. It's not a hight priority right now, as I've been using Windows for as long as I've had a personal computer.

Anyway, I'll check on the distribution this evening, Lord willing, and post back here.

Just Joined!

Distribution - password

ok. it took me a while to get around to looking (busy), but the distribution that I installed was Linux Mandrake 7.0

I tried logging in as root with no password, and that seemed to work this time, and it did kind of go to a text mode before and after I tried that this time. Don't know what was different.

Anyway, how can I get started? Do I somehow need to create another username? Or quite frankly, I don't care if I get in under the root password and end up messing something up, b/c this is just for learning at this point, anyway. I have 2 other desktops, a laptop, and a dell axim that I use Windows on, so it's not as if it's an emergency.

So, if anyone has some pointers as to how to get started without reading a whole thick book at first, then what do you suggest? What are some of the commands that would be most beneficial if the whole thing is a command line interface. Or, how do I get to the GUI interface, if it exists?

This is the retail CD, I believe, in it's own case, and with a total of 3 cd's:
    1.) Linux-Mandrake 7.0 Installation Disc
    2.) Linux-Mandrake 7.0 Source Disc
    3.) Extras

I've only used the first disc so far just to install the operating system.
    So where do I go from here?