Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Everyone, I just installed Gentoo, things went pretty well, but I'm having a mount disk error on hda1 on boot, but everything boots fine, just to access /boot i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Back to Basics

Hey Everyone,
    I just installed Gentoo, things went pretty well, but I'm having a mount disk error on hda1 on boot, but everything boots fine, just to access /boot i have to mount /dev/hda1 /boot. This wasn't the main reason of this post, as I realise it should be in the gentoo section but how do I access system startup logs and copy them to a file to post along with fstab and fdisk -l ? As right now I know next to nothing about Linux. Also another newb question I have an excel Wireless Lan PCMCIA card for the latop running Gentoo at the moment, how do I get the system to recognise the wireless card. Right now I'm using ethernet bridged to a windows XP laptop and wireless connection to get on the net and run portage.

Thanks
    Sadza

I'd love to know how you got that bridge working, if you could PM me with that, I'd appreciate it. As for your other questions, most system logs are found in the /var directory, usually in /var/log or something similar.

not quite sure how u successfully boot if u cant mount /boot.

But anyway.... is the filesystem type right in /etc/fstab.

Could u say what filesystem u got on /boot and paste the line from fstab for it plz.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

for the wireless card you have to have pcmcia support enabled in the kernel. You also have to emerge the pcmcia-cs package. Then emerge pci-utils package and type lspci. This should show your devices. If your card shows up the system recognizes it. Then you have to find a driver...either in the kernel...or elsewhere to get it to work.

If you need help with the card once it is recognized repost and I can probably help I have spent a lot of time trying to get wireless cards working. Not an expert but have done most of my fiddling with this component of linux.

good luck.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Okay cool thanks for your help so far. I've been emerging apache, mysql and php alls gone good so far except I get an illegal instruction when it switches to Pear and everything halts, also if i just go emerge mod_php, xorg-x11 tries to compile and keeps failing, not that I even want X. I got around this using USE="-*" and put all the goodiess i needed which seemed to work until this pear error.

Yes strange I don't know how it boots if it can't mount /boot. lol.

The boot file system is ext2. This is what fdisk -l puts out:
    Code:
         Device Boot      Start       End     Blocks      Id   System
    /dev/hda1 *           1            5        37768+     83   Linux
    /dev/hda2              6            72      506520     82   Linux swap
    /dev/hda3             73           776    5322240    83   Linux
    This is what fstab says for /boot
    Code:
    /dev/hda1     /boot          ext2         defaults,noatime          1 2
    Cool ill emerge the pcmcia stuff as soon as php and ssh are done and update back here.

As for the windows bridge, I previously had a windows xp laptop connected to a wireless network with dhcp. All I did was go to Network Connections select ethernet and wireless, right click, bridge networks. And then everything worked on gentoo. I don't think you can bridge networks if you have a static IP on your windows xp machine. Tell me if this helps.

Thanks
    Sadza

I don't know if this makes a difference but for my ext2 fstab I have
    noauto, noatime instead of defaults, noatime. everything else matches my fstab. I know that the noauto option just doesn't mount boot automatically everytime. I don't know what defaults selection does for boot disc.

I don't know about your error. Maybe you could post actual error.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

have a look at
    Code:
     demsg
    also it is the kernel log
    and on the /boot mounting thing you should just be able to type
    Code:
     mount /boot
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

Some things are fixed

Hey everyone, thanks for your help. I removed the defaults and just left noatime for /dev/hda1 which stopped the boot error.

With regards to the wireless card, I did lspci and this is what comes up:
    Code:
    0000:02:00.0 Network Controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
    So what do I do know?

I'm at present recompiling my kernel with acx 100 support to see if that will make the wireless card work.

Your help is very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sadza