Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I have two computers at home. One is HP d300 3.0GHZ , 512 RAM and 70Gig hard drive with Win XP . The second is an old one , ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux on 2 hard drive

Hi,

I have two computers at home. One is HP d300 3.0GHZ , 512 RAM and 70Gig hard drive with Win XP . The second is an old one , 600MHZ, 192 RAM and have 2 hard drives - one is 10 gig and other is 20. I just installed the second HD and made it as slave(the 20 gig one). Both of these hard drives have windows xp installed on them.

I wanted to install linux on my computers as dual boot. For my HP I can format the winXP and have it partitioned so I can install Linux. But How can I installed Linux on my second computer with 2 hard drives. I have no problem formating data. But I want one hard drive to have winxP and second one to have linux.

Thanks for your help in advance !!!!!

JT

Linux Newbie
    Right then,

Assuming both disks on the old pc have a working installation of xp, leave one of them alone, probably you should keep the one on the master drive, as sometimes windows can be picky about where it lives.

Then, if your happy to do this, when you install your chosen distro, you probably will get an option to install over writing everything on the disk. You will probably see the hard disks as follows
    /dev/hda
    /dev/hdb
    or somthing similar, basicaly hda (Hard disk A) and hdb (Hard Disk B, or maybe C or D ....)

HDA will be your windows disk that you want to keep, so dont install on that drive. There will probably be the option to compeltely format and automatically partion the disk you do want to use for linux, probably hdb...

So it depends what distro you use for the specifics of how to do it, but it shouldnt be too hard. All distros I've used have been fairly easy to use with the hard disk bits.

Oh, one other thing to think about is where you put the boot loader, that should probably go at the start of the master hard disk, so then you can get the choice to boot either xp or linux every time you start.

I boot off a floppy when im using linux tho, as that leaves my xp installation complete just incase! Hope that helps a bit!

Just Joined!
    That makes sense !!!!

I am just waiting for the FC3 installation CD's in mail with the Book that I ordered on FC3.

Can you tell me more about boot loader. I have read that there are some problems with windows xp not understanding the linux file system. If my boot loader is on master hard drive on which windows is installed, then how i will get the dual boot option for linux.

Thanks for your help

JT

Linux Newbie
    hehe let me guess, red hat fedora bible?
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.

Just Joined!
    Well you are very close .... No it is Red had partical guidue ....

I had to choose between Red hat bible or RH partical guide.So I went to local book store. After going through many linux books RH partical guide caught my eyes.But at the book store it was very expensive.($70.00 canadian).After comming home, I went to amazon and pick both of these books,but at the end i drop Red hat bible.

I figure out that I can't read both of these book at the same time.And If I want I can always order.I am very anxious to get my book in the mail so I can start learning linux.

My short term goal is to learn linux.Long term goals includes learning enterprise linux servers , networking and system admin.I will be also taking some courses in local community college on system admin and networking starting from May.

JT

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtmoney
    Can you tell me more about boot loader. I have read that there are some problems with windows xp not understanding the linux file system. If my boot loader is on master hard drive on which windows is installed, then how i will get the dual boot option for linux.
    It's good to research this stuff before the pressure is on. The default bootloader for FC3 is Grub (GRand Unified Bootloader). Search these forums and you'll see plenty of posts and many sad stories of those who were either unprepared or unlucky. You are right that Windows is unable to understand the Linux filesystems. Windows can survive a Linux bootloader, though, because the bootloader will be written to a portion of the drive which is read only by the BIOS and not by the operating system, that is the MBR or Master Boot Record.

dark_lord_kodd's suggestion of booting from a floppy is a good one. While you are waiting for your CDs to arrive, go to the Grub Website and learn how to create a Grub boot disk on floppy. Done correctly, you will be able to boot the floppy and get a Grub prompt like this: grub> Then, with Windows on the primary master drive, see if you can boot Windows with these commands:
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Okay - I went to Grub website but I was unable to find instructions how to make a boot disk. Anyother suggestions !!!!!

JT

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtmoney
    Okay - I went to Grub website but I was unable to find instructions how to make a boot disk. Anyother suggestions !!!!!
    No problem. The site I pointed to is'nt as clear as I thought it was. Sorry. Save each of the following two files to your system:

http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/grub.img
    http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/rawrite.exe

Assuming you are using Windows, put a new diskette in drive A and run:
    Code:
    rawrite grub.img a:
    Of course you need to set the path for rawrite and grub.img to match your system. If you get some kind of Windows message saying you can't do that, you may need to get a dos (or drdos) bootable floppy.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    More I read the stuff, It seem harder and harder to linux installed. But anyway I am still waiting for the CD. Let see how it goes , I was really optimistic before but now i have some doubts... I don't know I have to wait and see...

JT

Installing Linux may look hard if you are trying to understand all of the workings that go on during the install.

But once you put the cd/dvd in the drive and boot up. You will see it is not that hard. And if you don't understand things along the way, you can always come to these Forums and get help.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast