Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by eqisow Yea, instead just dual boot windows... becasue that gives them even MORE reason to run out and make a Linux port, right? Wait ... no? Running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow
    Yea, instead just dual boot windows... becasue that gives them even MORE reason to run out and make a Linux port, right? Wait ... no?
    Running MS Windows games on MS Windows does not help the Linux cause for games, I agree. However running games in Cedega doesn't help it, either, and may very well *hurt* it.

Perhaps Cedega (or insert any wine-like program here) will convince more people to switch to Linux and forsake Windows completely. A larger Linux marketshare = more Linux games. Cedega will never be perfect, so Linux users will tend to gravitate towards games with actual Linux ports as opposed to running Cedega. This means companies will make them. Simple.
    If only the world *where* that simple. What I see is more developers simply refusing to make Linux ports because there is no market for it. Why? Linux users are buying the MS Windows version and playing it in Cedega. Companies like Electronic Arts don't give a rat's behind whether Linux users "prefer" a native port. The bottom line is they're making money off the MS Windows version so why give more effort?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    That's a very good point, but all it takes is one company (Doom 3 anyone?) to make a native Linux port, which Linux users will tend to buy (I know I would) over windows versions they run in Cedega. Other companies go, "hey... we can make money like that." The reason you don't see that more now, imo, is because of the Linux user base. (especially the gaming user base) It's to small atm for most companies to care. User base is what it really comes down to, I think... and that brings Cedega back into play. Whatever brings people over.

Linux Engineer
    I don't think the cost tradeoff between writing a game for Linux and what will actually be bought is there. Market forces are going to drive what the companies develop, and quite honestly, I don't see the market on the Linux side. Especially compared to what they're raking in on the Windows side of the house.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    Quite right retired. That is the bottom line. The Linux market share needs to be there before games will come, and it needs games to help it get the market share... hmmm, I smell a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2