Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Allrounder

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Allrounder

Hi,,

I am a newbiw I am a games freak .. It just that I am tiered of Playing games on WIN,, am not sure which version of Linux is best suited for the games.. Kindy suggest

Bi
    Asheesh

Linux Engineer
    It's not so much the distribution. Pick one that you like. Play around with them.

You'll then find that games may work under Linux using additional helper programs such as wine, but it's not the best solution. If you're a die hard, hard core gamer, I'd recommend you stick with Windows.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    If you're a die hard, hard core gamer, I'd recommend you stick with Windows.
    Hang on a minute, if few will argue that Windows is actually a better platform for games, Linux is far from being hopeless. If you like to purchase recent popular games, I suggest you check out this website ==> http://www.tuxgames.com
    You won't find them all for sure, but you still have some choices.
    I purchased from them Doom3 few month ago, it works as good as on Windows if not better despite the high resources required for that game.
    If you don't like purchasing game, there is a bunch of more or less simple free open source game that are lots of fun to play with.
    Just make sure the chip on your graphic card is supported on Linux with 3D acceleration.
    You can check it out there ==> http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html
    Scroll down until you see the "search database" option.
    For the distro I'd second what retired1af said.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yeh stay with windows if your a gamer and use Linux for work thats what i do, But a few games do have native Linux ports.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Yeh stay with windows if your a gamer and use Linux for work thats what i do, But a few games do have native Linux ports.
    ENJOY DOOM-3
    Portability is for people who cannot programme

You may want to try and look for a distro that uses small amounts of system resources. You could get a distro that has something like KDE and then install something like xfce or fluxbox and run that when you want to play games. This way, you will be saving system resources for games.

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Or if you dont mind paying a subscription, you could try out Cedega. I dont have any problems playing counter strike on that. Though as i say, u do need to pay a subscription. it's something likse $30USD a YEAR, but whatever it is, it's reasonably low.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    Or if you dont mind paying a subscription, you could try out Cedega. I dont have any problems playing counter strike on that. Though as i say, u do need to pay a subscription. it's something likse $30USD a YEAR, but whatever it is, it's reasonably low.
    Or you can download the CVS version for free (Not the newest one)

I too was a pretty hardcore gamer (recovering slowly). I am also of the opinion that if you're going to keep playing the latest and greatest PC games, you should keep MS Windows on your system, even if it's a dual-boot and that's all you use it for.

Yes, some game houses recently have offered a bone to Linux users (Epic, makers of Unreal tournament, and Id, makers of the Doom series, as well as Bioware who did Neverwinter Nights), but the vast majority of games are still being made for MS Windows, and like it or not, they will continue to be made for it for a very long time to come, simply because games are about making money these days, and if 90% of your paying audience runs MS Windows, that's what you need to be developing for.

Meanwhile, as mentioned above, it's not *completely* hopeless, particularly with Doom 3, Neverwinter Nights, etc, etc available for Linux. I do not recommend playing games in Cedega, since the performance in my experience is *always* better in MS Windows. Not to mention that I'm of the camp that believes encouraging products like Cedega actually hurts Linux gamers because it lets game companies get lazy. (After all, why make a Linux port when it'll be supported by Cedega in a month or so. Let *them* do the work.)
    Registered Linux user #270181

Just Joined!
    I do not recommend playing games in Cedega, since the performance in my experience is *always* better in MS Windows. Not to mention that I'm of the camp that believes encouraging products like Cedega actually hurts Linux gamers because it lets game companies get lazy. (After all, why make a Linux port when it'll be supported by Cedega in a month or so. Let *them* do the work.)
    Yea, instead just dual boot windows... becasue that gives them even MORE reason to run out and make a Linux port, right? Wait ... no? Perhaps Cedega (or insert any wine-like program here) will convince more people to switch to Linux and forsake Windows completely. A larger Linux marketshare = more Linux games. Cedega will never be perfect, so Linux users will tend to gravitate towards games with actual Linux ports as opposed to running Cedega. This means companies will make them. Simple.