Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: video artifacts

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

video artifacts

OK, so I'm not entirely sure this would be the proper place for this question, so my apologies in advance. I recently installed a windows XP/ubuntu dual boot. I have a FAT32 storage drive that Linux and windows share. Well, if I recall correctly, this worked well at first. Now, however, many of my videos have green artifacts in them in Windows media player. Some of the ones that ahve artifacts in media player play ok in DivX player. Others ahve artifacts in Divx player too. (all DivX's work in DivX player, but not mpegs) The same files all player under MPlayer and totem under Linux, however some seem... jumpy, sort of. We're talking about 80 gigs or so of media and no backups for most of it, (stupid, I know) so I'd really like to solve this.

Linux Enthusiast
    Are the movies stored on the Windows partition?
    If so, try to defrag it, perhaps that helps.

A movie being jumpy suggests (to me) a busy system, or a slow datastream.

Just Joined!
    No, there's a windows partition (NTFS), a Linux partition, and a seperate drive that's FAT32. The FAT drive is like 1% fragmented, so that's not it. The fat drive is a little slower than the other, but not that much... the system is pretty fast (AMD64 3000+) and I'm not running anything else... soo... yea.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    No ideas eh? :\