Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, now that I have Mepis running like a dream on my newer PC I'm going to put Windows on my older system that had Fedora. Problem is Windows keeps ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Back to Windows.

Well, now that I have Mepis running like a dream on my newer PC I'm going to put Windows on my older system that had Fedora. Problem is Windows keeps locking up during install. If I'm not mistaken, I have to do something with the MBR before I can install windows but I don't remember what it is. Help me out peops...thanks.

Linux Engineer
    Boot the CD all the way up. Select R for repair. Select the Windows installation you wish to repair. Give the Admin password when asked. At the prompt, type: FIXMBR answer the prompt (say yes), then type exit. Voila. MBR repaired.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

You shouldn't have to touch your mbr before installing Windows; it overwrites the mbr during install. You have some other problem.

Usually in my experience, when a Windows install locks up for no reason it is a memory issue. Try running memtest and see what comes up.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close