Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by mcmnck 1. Try your Windows CD in another computer. If it is very scratched you may find that a copy made with a DVD reader/CD writer will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by mcmnck
    1. Try your Windows CD in another computer. If it is very scratched you may find that a copy made with a DVD reader/CD writer will work. A DVD drive is better at reading damaged discs.

2. It is more likely that the partition table and/or mbr has been corrupted. Get hold of a LiveCD such as Knoppix or DamnSmallLinux, mount the drive, open a terminal and use the command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

which gets rid of all partitions including the MBR and the file allocation table- it overwrites the entire HD with zeros. Then you should be able to start from scratch with the Windows disc.

Please note that I have not tried this, but it would seem a suitable method in your predicament. For more info on 'dd' have a look at this thread: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=174058

Good luck!
    my windows cd is fine, works on anything but my laptop for now, ill try yer suggestion in the morning, but thanks

Just Joined!
    i just tried it and it gave me a 'permission denied' >_<

Just Joined!
    Umm - you need root privileges for this, but I don't know how you go about that in Knoppix or DSL.

With a Mepis live CD you have the option to boot as root or demo: choose 'root' at the login screen and the password is also 'root'. Slax also gives you a root option (pw is toor) and is half the size to download. Both are available from distrowatch.

Good luck!

Linux Engineer
    By default, Knoppix has no root password set. You become root by simply typing sudo su.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Just Joined!
    thanks for the knoppix root login, i have windows running and im looking for another distro to install as a dual boot os

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    FC isn't a great distro, and a lot of people have had problems with it.
    Sorry for the thread-jack, but why is FC a 'bad' distro?

As a n00b to Linux i started out with FC and then tried Unbunto. After much messing around I returned to FC as it offered me more of what I wanted (It is also less brown)

Granted I have not tried SuSe or Mandrake - after all, getting hold of them is a right royal pita.

Just interested to hear why my choice may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    FC isn't a great distro, and a lot of people have had problems with it.
    Sorry for the thread-jack, but why is FC a 'bad' distro?

As a n00b to Linux i started out with FC and then tried Unbunto. After much messing around I returned to FC as it offered me more of what I wanted (It is also less brown)

Granted I have not tried SuSe or Mandrake - after all, getting hold of them is a right royal pita.

Just interested to hear why my choice may be wrong.
    Your choice isn'twrong, it is personal choice.
    Fedora just doesn't fit some people(I am one of them) I keep it around because I have space to do so.
    Suse, Vector, Yoper, and Gentoo are much better fits for me.
    Some people swear by FC and hate SUSE, and vice-versa.
    Enjoy FC3
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2