Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
My favorite media player would be "VLC": VLC - the cross-platform media player and streaming server VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

My favorite media player would be "VLC":

VLC - the cross-platform media player and streaming server

VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
    I currently have it installed on a FC3 box and previously used on FC2 also run it on Win XP.

Here's a link to the VLC download site where you should be able to find one
    for your distro.

VLC media player

Nah, not alsa.conf, but rather, the alsaconf command. That does some happy things with your sound card config, and alsamixer will let you change levels and all that jazz.

Open the terminal and simply run those commands.

when i said you need to run them, i was talking about them as console commands, not actual files, open up a console like xterm or some other one and type in the commands, make sure you're root before you do by typing in su, then provide your root password and begin

Just Joined!
    This was recently posted in the alt.os.linux.suse usenet group. I thought it a fairly decent tutorial on how to play dvd's. It is a bit SuSE specific, but should get the general ideas across.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~pirisisi/tips/Linux/dvdplay/

Of course, i don't understand what the legal reasons are for not providing DVD playback by default. If there's a codec, then why dont' the distros licence it?

Just Joined!
    Of course, i don't understand what the legal reasons are for not providing DVD playback by default. If there's a codec, then why dont' the distros licence it?
    This is a long term on-going legal battle for the open source community regarding copyrights. There have been some court decisions in our favor but the matter is far from settled yet. Seems the folks who make and sell dvd and such media don't feel that people who use open source software have a legal right to watch the dvd that we bought and paid for.

It's basically a long running misguided anti-piracy related struggle. The copyright holders naturally don't want their products copied and bootlegged, and in their minds that is somehow tied to open source software.

There is also the matter of dvd and mp3 encryption being proprietary in nature and most distros don't want to include proprietary software for legal copyright reasons. Just attempting to avoid any possible legal battles.

While in many countries it is still technically illegal to use open source software to play the dvd you purchased legally, the tide of that battle is slowly swinging in our favor. Who knows, maybe eventually common sense will win out.

Just Joined!
    [quote="MasonM"]
    It's basically a long running misguided anti-piracy related struggle. The copyright holders naturally don't want their products copied and bootlegged, and in their minds that is somehow tied to open source software.
    Hmm, interesting. I actually had a scare today as I was driving to work. I was thinking about how the Janus encryption scheme might eventually become a de-facto standard. I wonder if ( or when) this happens, what will become of all non-MS movie playback systems.

Personally, I like MPlayer, but I also fear for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdumal
    Thanks to Krendoshazin!
    I did exactelly the same as you said and it works well!
    I don't know if I was suppose to write something else in fstab (depending on my dvd-rom?) but I can read DVDs! But, there's only one problem to resolve... no sounds!!!
    Any ideas? (codecs?)
    I'll be hapy when I'll be able to watch Rocky on my PC!!!

Thank you!

jpdumal
    Not sure where you are but sometimes different players default to oss which isn't used anymore. Go into the prefereces and change it to alsa or auto.
    this usually fixes sound issues with xine.
    Unless you don't have sound at all in which case go to kmix and see if you sound is muted. I have found that to happen from time to time
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Wow!!! Thanks to all of you, it finally works!
    Now I can watch Rocky!

jpdumal - the newb

Quote Originally Posted by jpdumal
    Wow!!! Thanks to all of you, it finally works!
    Now I can watch Rocky!

jpdumal - the newb
    how did you fix the sound, i ask so that people with a similar problem can use what you did to try and fix a problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2