Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
lol i have a linux box that is 133 mhz and has like no ram and it has gnome its like 10 years old. When u click on something it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

lol i have a linux box that is 133 mhz and has like no ram and it has gnome its like 10 years old. When u click on something it take like 3-5 minutes for it to come up. Anyway do u think i could use Vectorlinux? And agina can i just download it or do i have to make cd's?

You are better off making downloading the iso, and burning a cd.
    You can do a network install, but on a machine with those specs, it is definitely going to take a really long time.
    And yes, VectorLinux should run on that machine O.K.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I went to their site and lookewd at some screenshots i am asuming that it already comes with a gui. Am i right?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    SOHO 5.0.1 comes with KDE. It's not too bad on my machine, but I still wanted quicker response, so I ditched it in favor of IceWM which can be found in the VL repositories after you get the OS set up.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    VL is just as good as any other linux right, in the sense that i am trying to escape the world of windows so i mean it is just as "linuxy" as the others right? And when i make a cd is all i need the .iso? If so is this just a compressed file format for linux?

Linux Engineer
    Vector Linux is based on Slackware 10.1. It's fairly robust, and after trying a few other distros, settled on VL. I like it. All I can say is give it a try. If you like it, great. If not, there's a ton of other packages out there that you can try.

Copy the ISO to your machine, then burn it to a CD as an image. Nero handles this fairly well if you have that software.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    first I would like to say that i greatly apreciate all the help you guys are giving me. My question is after i make the cd what comes next do i just pop in the cd and go from there. Or do i like have to find a way to wipe out windoes first or something? thanks for the help!!!

P.S Can you have more than one version of linux?

Linux Engineer
    It's a bootable CD once you've created it. Just follow the instructions as you go along.

How big is the hard drive? You can have multiple installations and dual boot, but if you have a smallish drive, it may not be advisable.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    Holy crap!!! It only is like a little over 7 gig, it has like 310 mb left but it has a lot of junk on it and i want to wipe everything off it anyway to start my linux computer. I wonder how long it will take me to download all the programs i want like firefox, cd burning software, lime wire, xchat, an ftp client and much more.

Linux Engineer
    SOHO comes with Firefox and the items you listed.

7 Gig is enough for VL.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast