Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Hey guys, a couple weeks ago my teacher gave me a linux box, it is only 133 megahertz. Its slowness made it hard to work on. My friend however is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I would really Like to start Linux but i need a little help

Hey guys, a couple weeks ago my teacher gave me a linux box, it is only 133 megahertz. Its slowness made it hard to work on. My friend however is giving me a computer that is running windows melinum i bleieve. Anway i want to wipe windows and use linux. I would like to point out that i am not computer challanged and i actually know a lot about computers and am learning computer languages. But when it comes to linux i dont know much at all. Anyway so i know that i need to go on my current computer download linux and then burn the exe to a cd to install it on the computer that will be given to me. This is where i need help does anybody know a good version of linux that is free that i can download and could you supply a link. Becuase i have looked and i really just dont know what would be the best. Also is there a way that when i install linux it also installs a visual desktop thing like gnome. So i am not just only in a command based thing. Like a combo package or something. Again somethign that is free!!!! Thanks so much for your help!

-Kenbodude

This computer that you are getting, how much ram does it have, and what processor?
    If you don't have a lot of ram and a newer proc, you are probably going to want to go with one of the lighter distros.
    Think VectorLinux or Yoper, maybe Slackware.
    Look at www.distrowatch.com they have free downloads of almost every distro you can imagine.
    Hope you have fun with Linux.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

budman7 is right on the mark about the processing. That will be a determining factor in the distro that will work best for you. If you've got RAM to burn, Mepis is good. My personal favourite is SuSE for new users, but the ftp install might be a little daunting. The boxed version at your computer store would be best. It will cost but is worth twice the asking price.

For low Ram and slower/older PC's, I'd definately recommend using Beatrix. It runs like greased lightening, and the developers have fine tuned it to be user friendly with older slower hardware. Good Luck!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks guys i appreciate your replies. And if anybody has anything more to say plz feel free. Anyway tommorow once i get the comp i will post the specs but as for now i have no idea what the specs are. Thanks!!! I did have one more question though? Once you have some form of linux can like mandrake or redhat or something can u donwload more than one Gui? I am very excited to get acquainted with the wonderful world of linux!

Now that I think about it. If it has ME on it, that kind of dates it.
    So I seriously doubt that it is going to ave more than 192 MB of ram.
    And probably a P2 or P3. I would just go with one of the lighter distros that I mentioned earlier.
    Ask retired1af how he feels about Vectorlinux.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    is madrake one of the more heavy distros, again i will tell you the specs sometime tommorow evening? And i am still wondering about my Gui Question.

I assume you mean the desktop environment? If so yes. With linux there are... well... hundreds!

Gnome and Kde come with most distros and are by far the most popular. XFCE is enjoying great popularity right now and Fluxbox is also a favourite. My personal preference of all I've tried is IceWM. It's fast as a scalded dog, (up in about a half a second) and is extremely easy to configure and very configurable.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Ask retired1af how he feels about Vectorlinux.
    It rocks!

I'm running a PIII 450 with 192 MB of ram. Scrapped KDE and Gnome in favor of IceWM and I have one smokin' machine here. The SOHO version (Small Office Home Office) comes loaded with the standard apps you would need for that type of environment.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    okay i got the compuert. It is a pentium 2 it doesnt tell me the cpu but is does have 128 mb of ram which is pretty good for a pentium 2, it is running 98, it seems to be running pretty smooth becusae of its ram. I was interested in madrake linux or splax, do you think this comp will work with these? And now i am at the next step getting linux to work. Do i have to make them cd's or can i simply just download linux on the internet and just run it that way? I also want to point out that i am not partioning my drive i want to completely wipe out windows and run only linux. Thank you for your help.

ps. I am on the new comp right now!

Thanks for your help -Kenbodude

Linux Engineer
    That's some pretty old iron there. You're definitely going to want to check out a lighter distro, and stay away from KDE and Gnome.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast