Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Linux community ... I installed Suse 9.3 on my Compaq nx7010 laptop today at work and MAN , I gotta say, this is a COOOOOL O.S.!! Anyway... YaST set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting internet to work.

Hello Linux community ...

I installed Suse 9.3 on my Compaq nx7010 laptop today at work and MAN , I gotta say, this is a COOOOOL O.S.!! Anyway... YaST set up my network card and internet settings automatically and everything was peachy.... but now I am back home and the internet doesnt work (I am writing this post in WinXP).

At work I just jammed the ethernet cable into the laptop and boom it worked. At home I tried plugging my ethernet cable into the laptop and boom it didnt work. Would this have something to do with my DSL settings? I have ADSL at home. At work, its just standard LAN.

I would like to know how to reconfigure network/internet settings in Suse (YaST)?

Does your ADSL router have DHCP turned on, or does it require you to give a specific IP address?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Negatory... no DHCP and automatic assigning of IP address.

Then it looks like your problem is that at work there was DHCP assigning an IP address to your computer, and at home you need to set up a static IP? This should be doable through YaST under the "Network" section.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Sorry... yes to DHCP... its says:

DHCP Table:

Host Name IP Address MAC Address
    USR8054 192.168.1.4 00-C0-49-D9-86-E3

Just Joined!
    I tried pinging the router (its IP is 192.168.1.1) but not even that works... it doesnt even timeout... it just says "Cannot reach network address" a split second after striking the Return key after typing "ping 192.168.1.1"

Its as if the system thinks that the cable is not even plugged in... but it IS! Internet is fine on the Windows partition (as you can see by me posting this message!)