Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone give me some advice here. I'm on Mandrake 10.1 Using the graphical software uninstall tool I removed qt-common and some lib qt type package (under the category of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help. KDE is buggered. Can't seem to fix it using urpmi

Can anyone give me some advice here. I'm on Mandrake 10.1

Using the graphical software uninstall tool I removed qt-common and some lib qt type package (under the category of Development -> KDE and QT). I'm trying to get some development stuff working and I'm having a hell of a time because Matlab needs to use gcc 3.2.3, and along with that libstdc++.so.5 (no exceptions), but when I compile the project with qmake I get a complaint about some qt library needing libstdc++.so.6. I figured the way around this problem was to rollback my version of qt such that it was happy with version 5. While removing qt related packages I stupidly thought the category I was in was for k DEVELOP & QT, not KDE & Qt, so when it promped to say it had to remove a bunch of other packages I said sure.

Then I tried installing an older QT manually but the compile failed, and in the mean time I tried to open my home directory from the desktop and kde told me something about kfminit or something like that, wasn't working. I started to realize a whole wack of KDE things weren't working right. I tried to urpmi to update qt and kde but a whole bunch of problems came up with kde (I was urpmi-ing kdecore). So then I thought maybe I need to do this KDE updating from a non-graphical terminal, so I ssh'ed into the box, ran:
    service dm stop (found out about this from a linuxquestions.org post, http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...05/03/3/301466

And tried to update KDE but there were package problems. Now, when I VNC into the computer (I'm not geographically close to it right now), I don't even get KDE, I get a totally stripped down gnome window manager, and I haven't got a clue what to do now. I'm tempted to just cut my losses and start from scratch with my install, but I'd really like to know what's going on here. How do I get KDE working again so I can get back to trying to solve my other problem?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

P.S. SOrry for the long post but I thought more detail is better than less.

Just Joined!
    Well, figured out some of my problem:

-First off, all my sources in urpmi were out of date, and the ones I was updating (4 of 6 were from the Canadian mirror) weren't working for some reason (why does this happen? I add the media and it seems to work, but the mirror isn't aware of the packages I need). So, I found valid sources, updated my kde packages, and everything seems back on track (my configuration of menus and stuff was still there too).
    -Still haven't sorted out my library issue, but I'll work it out somehow.
    -Learned about the /etc/init.d/dm command for stopping, restarting, and status checking the desktop manager.

That's it.