Find the answer to your Linux question:
hie Im a newbie @ using linux & i just got my redhat9 up & running & having a wonderfull time with it , my problem is that i want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Help & Tips on RPM

hie

Im a newbie @ using linux & i just got my redhat9 up & running & having a wonderfull time with it , my problem is that i want to install some other software (linux-compatible) & im having trouble with how to manouver thru RPM when i want to install packages ie those i download from the net . also how do you run non linux programs in linux ie those that were made on a windows platform

Linux Newbie
    For RPM,
    when you are installing a new RPM , use ( as root of course )
    Code:
    # rpm -ivh <full rpm name with extension>
    when you are installing a Newer version of a RPM already present on your system, use
    Code:
    # rpm -Uvh <full rpm name with extension>
    For more details, visit http://www.rpm.org

About your 2nd question, you should use wine , or maybe winex.
    Check out this link : http://www.winehq.com

rpm is probably easiest from the command line prompt (at least that's where I play with it from).

1. Logon as root, or change to super user by su - .
    2. Open a terminal window (if not already open), and make sure that you have a # as the final character of the prompt (proves that you are super user. If you have a $ then do a su - ).
    3. Change directory to where you saved your downloads (probably your home directory / folder. So "cd /home/username" where username is your username).
    4. List the files - "ls *.rpm"
    5. enter the rpm command to Install - rpm -ihv filename.rpm where "filename.rpm" is the name of the rpm file (ie. if it's called "wondergame.rpm" then the command would be "rpm -ihv wondergame.rpm"). Of course the names are quite long, so what you do is hightlight the name with your mouse (now you see why we did the listing before) and then use the copy-paste with middle mouse button facility. ie. with the name still highlighted, type the "rpm -ihv " and then move the mouse cursor to the next space and press the mouses's middle button (wheel, or both buttons together if you have a two button mouse).
    6. Prereqs. Often you will find that the file you want to install requires other files before you can install it. You will be given a list. Take the list and - one at a time - use it to get the files from "http://rpmfind.net" .
    7. A different way of getting the prereqs is to use either "apt" or "yum" to do the whole job for you. But I'd only use these if I have broadband connection.

There you go, that should do you for now. You can, if you wish, install all of the rpm files in a particular folder by doing "rpm -ihv *.rpm" . This wild card method is what I use to apply multiple updates ("rpm -Fhv *.rpm").

have fun

Nerderello

ps. looks like Prosen beat me to it

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS