Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I have installed LM10.1 and am having problems getting sound out of my box. I have no problems with system sounds but i can't playback any mp3's and hear ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Sound

Hi,
    I have installed LM10.1 and am having problems getting sound out of my box.
    I have no problems with system sounds but i can't playback any mp3's and hear them.
    My box has a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for the sound card and, i guess on mobo, VT82C686 [Apollo Super AC97/Audio] which is using snd-via82xx as it's driver and via82cxxx_audio as an Alternate Driver.
    I have tried to set my Sound Blaster card to the audigy driver with no success as well as to emu10k1 driver which according to the ALSA website is the driver for that card.
    Thanks for any help

Linux Engineer
    That problems some time occurs if you run gnome with system-sounds on, and your progs use alsa or something... Either try switching the outputplugin to esound (esd), or try turning of the "sounds for events" or something similar in the sound-options for gnome.

Tell me if I got something wrong, are you using gnome? And by the way, which distro is "LM10.1"?

Just Joined!

Re: No Sound

Quote Originally Posted by eklhmn
    I have no problems with system sounds but i can't playback any mp3's and hear them.
    I recall a problem that I had W/MDK 10.0 that the cd-ROM was not being recognized. Can you put in a regular music CD and have it play automatically? Did it play prior to the MDK install? Sometimes the obvious is the problem. Sorry if this seems simplistic.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

No sound in Úser" but sound in '"root"login.

I have a similar problem with Fedora 3. I cannot play ogg files saved on a Cd or get anything other than system sound when login is other than 'root' If I want to play musiic I have to login as 'root' It is obvious a simple action would fix this, but I've tried for days and read heaps but no joy!

Re: No sound in Úser" but sound in '"root"log

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora@75
    I have a similar problem with Fedora 3. I cannot play ogg files saved on a Cd or get anything other than system sound when login is other than 'root' If I want to play musiic I have to login as 'root' It is obvious a simple action would fix this, but I've tried for days and read heaps but no joy!
    For the CD problem: I think it may have something to do with not having proper permissions. I had a problem that was resolved about audio cd's...it doesn't really pertain to you but the first post by cjl7 might help you solve your problems: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...tml&highlight=.

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    LM10.1 is Linux Mandrake 10.1. I am using KDE 3.2

when i open my mixer all volumes are all the way up and turned on.
    My system sounds only work when audio cable is connected to the onboard audio. When I plug the audio into my sound card no system sounds or any audio play back at all.

Am now trying Alsaconf. with no luck yet.

Just Joined!
    apparently my system only wants to 'see' my on board audio. How do i get it to only put sound through my sound card?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by eklhmn
    apparently my system only wants to 'see' my on board audio. How do i get it to only put sound through my sound card?
    Is there a way to disable the onboard audio through your bios?
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

Just Joined!
    Is there a way to disable the onboard audio through your bios?

yes, i actually just had to do some digging around in the BIOS setups to find it! so now it's disabled and i still have audio on my Windows XP system. Now the problem is that when i boot into linux my system completely hangs when it gets to the 'Searching for new hardware'. I don't know why.
    I guess i could go and re-enable the onboard audio

I also thought about re-installing Linux and actually did attempt it but it now gets hung up right after I agree to the license agreement.
    So then i thought, why not re-download Linux Mandrake 10.1 iso image from their site. Now i can't find iso images there, unless you pay for it now!

Linux Newbie
    http://www.linuxiso.org/
    http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29

Dunno if you need to reinstall though . . .
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast