Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Display problem with IBM laptop

Please forgive me if this isn't quite "newbie", but I figured it was OK since I consider myself a total linux newbie. I recently got an IBM ThinkPad A31 used from eBay.

The computer works great, except for a problem with the screen. About 50% of the time the computer is on, there is a grid of horizontal lines on it. This pattern sometimes shifts and varies in intensity. There seems to be no correlation between the pattern and me moving the screen. When I attach an external monitor, the same artifacts show. About 10% of the times I turn the computer on, the screen is unreadable from a varying matrix of horizontal and vertical lines and weird rectangular symbols. These patterns also show when the "IBM ThinkPad" startup logo is on the screen. They are also there when I boot with a live-CD or a Windows boot disk. I currently run Mandrake 10.0, kernel 2.6.3-7mdk (or that's what it says ).

However, when I have X set for 24-bit colour depth, there are never any problems, at least in the display manager. Setting the command line to 24-bit (in lilo.conf: vga=792) helps some, but doesn't fix the problem. I am not sure whether this is a hardware or software problem, and the fact that the display manager works well with 24-bit colours confuses me. Any suggestions?

The computer works great, except for a problem with the screen. About 50% of the time the computer is on, there is a grid of horizontal lines on it
    I sink it is not problem of Linux/X11/Drivers, but there is something wrong with your monitor.
    Is is better to tell seller, while your ThinkPad is guaranteed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, thanks. That's what I figured as well. I just hope he is willing to cooperate..

Actually, given the fact that you tried hooking up an external monitor and you had the same problem, the culprit is probably your graphics card.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Oh, sorry. That was what I tried to express. Must have misread the reply. I am a bit tired right now, all my exams are coming up