Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux, but happy to have joined the community. I recently installed FC3 on my laptop and everything seems to be working fine. However, I was hoping to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation of Windows POST Fedora Core 3 Install

I'm new to Linux, but happy to have joined the community. I recently installed FC3 on my laptop and everything seems to be working fine.

However, I was hoping to run a dual system and install Windows XP as well. I had previously wiped my HD from having XP, then 2003 Server, then a failed Linux install, before successfully installing FC3. Therefore my HD was empty to begin with, so I partitioned half of it for Linux and left half un-partinioned.

Ok, now to my question. I can't get my Windows Disk to boot. Grub takes over before the CD loads (even though I have the CD drive listed first in the BIOS). Once Grub is up I have tried to get it to allow me to run a command line code where I could boot from the CD, but to no avail. Also it keeps telling me that I need to load the Kernel before I can run any "boot" commands.

Where should I start?
    What should I do?
    What other information do you need?

Re: Installation of Windows POST Fedora Core 3 Install

Since the BIOS loads first and you say it is set to check the CD drive first then if the CD in that drive is bootable it will not get to GRUB since GRUB is on the HD. Are you positive that 1) the CD drive light's up and stays lit long enough to know that it is 'looking'? 2) Are you positive the Win install CD is not bad?
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Linux Engineer
    The windows cd will ask you for confirmation, otherwise it will not boot... You have to press enter, when it asks you to, have you done that?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    The windows cd will ask you for confirmation, otherwise it will not boot... You have to press enter, when it asks you to, have you done that?
    He's talking about the Win installation CD...no prompts there except re: license agreement

Just Joined!

Win CD is good

I know the Windows CD is good. I have used it on 20+ Windows Installs. The CD is spinning, light is blinking, all indications that it is reading the CD, but it never presents me the choice of "Press Enter to Boot from CD..." or whatever the line is.

It is almost as if it is just about to boot from CD and then Grub takes over.

Is there a way to disable Grub so that the CD perhaps has a chance to be booted from?

Just Joined!
    Have you any other boot cds around to try(ie: knoppix, another xo disc, etc...)?

If you do, try and boot the laptop from that disc. If it's able to then you know that the XP disc is not being read properly.

Everytime I install XP I get the boot from disc prompt right after the post.

Other than that, there's not much else that is possible.

Since booting from the cd-rom is something that happens before the OS loads up I can't think of a reason as to how grub could be affecting it.

The other thing I can think of is going directly into the Boot Menu instead of letting the BIOS handle it (this is what I have always done).

When you start up the computer, there will be, in the upper-right, something about loading the Boot Menu. Press that button, then try booting from the CD.

If this does not work, the CD is bad.

Just Joined!

Will Try Solutions...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try all of these things, once I get home from school. If it still doesn't work, then I'll post again.

The boot menu option is hidden from the screen by the stupid "Compaq" logo. I think I know where to turn that off in BIOS which should let me boot from there, never thought about that.

Thanks!

Re: Win CD is good

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbedogne
    I know the Windows CD is good. I have used it on 20+ Windows Installs. The CD is spinning, light is blinking, all indications that it is reading the CD, but it never presents me the choice of "Press Enter to Boot from CD..." or whatever the line is.
    You only see this prompt BEFORE the CD Drive fires up, not after. This certainly does NOT mean your cd disk is OK. And I've ruined plenty of cd disks - does'nt take much to ruin them.

Bypassing GRUB is not going do anything for you except give you GRUB errors.

Just Joined!

But of course...

But of course it was the Windows CD that was bad...

The CD I was using was a copy from the original (a copy that was made to a HD then to CD and therefore was not bootable).

Thanks so much for the quick responses from everyone and for not treating me like I was an idiot (even though I was appearing that way).

As a side note for anyone installing a dual boot system, I went ahead deleted FC3 and installed windows first so that Windows could have it's precious C: specification (it was set for F: after installing directly after FC3).

We'll see how the dual boot system comes out, but I am sure that it will be great.