Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm wondering about Linux on an old laptop of mine. I've heard of free versions of linux (Suse, tried, but no avail), I was wondering if you all knew ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New User, Old Computer!

Hello, I'm wondering about Linux on an old laptop of mine. I've heard of free versions of linux (Suse, tried, but no avail), I was wondering if you all knew of any that would be able to be ran on an old 486 IBM ThinkPad 755CS. I think it's 75Mhz. I need it to run a relay controller that connects to the parallel port, I figured that Linux would be far superior than Windows for this application. Thanks for your help.

SuSe would be way too bloated for something like that. You might want to try:
    -Gentoo
    -Slackware
    -Free- or NetBSD (not GNU/Linux, but still OSS!)
    They can really be trimmed down to bare bones quite easily.

I have heard that if you install Damn Small Linux to the hard drive, it is nice for slower hardware.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hello again, I checked both Linux systems out, I noticed in all of the Gentoo based screenshots, they all had text windows up in them. Is it a command prompt based system? Or is it more like Windows and Suse? Also, is Slackware the same as Slax because that looks appealing. And you think these OSs will run on a 486 75 MHZ?

Just Joined!
    Wow! There are so many options. Okay, what I need is something to power a 486 75Mhz processor with 16 MB Ram. Something extremely simple since I know nothing of Linux. My computer has only a floppy drive, but I can hook an External CD Rom to it. Something simple though, and looks cool without needing any special programming commands ie. Command prompts. Thanks! I really appreciate all of the help I am recieveing. LINUX IS AWESOME!

Look for Damn Smal Linux, Puppy Linux, Feather or Featherweight linux distros.

All of these distros can be found at www.distrowatch.com

Hope this helps.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I downloaded Slax, we'll see if that works. I figured out that I may just buy another laptop off ebay with a CDrom in it, instead of getting my external one to work. Thanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by H8_XP
    Hello again, I checked both Linux systems out, I noticed in all of the Gentoo based screenshots, they all had text windows up in them. Is it a command prompt based system? Or is it more like Windows and Suse? Also, is Slackware the same as Slax because that looks appealing. And you think these OSs will run on a 486 75 MHZ?
    Gentoo can have a GUI if you choose to install it but I believe it is not installed by default (meaning the handbook install). Gentoo users, please correct me if I am wrong.

Slax is a Slackware based Live-CD. This means that it will run off of the disk and will not touch your hard drive. There may be an option to install to your HD though.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Gentoo can have a GUI if you choose to install it but I believe it is not installed by default (meaning the handbook install). Gentoo users, please correct me if I am wrong.
    No, you're right... The most things you want you will have to install yourself, but portage makes this easy for you. There is an extra, optional step in the handbook thought, called the "gentoo desktop documentation" which can be found here

You said you would like it to look like SuSE, but I don't think it's an good idea to use KDE on those resourses.... I would say try fluxbox and maybe instead of xorg/xfree86, use some lightweight x-server like the one called Xserver, which is based on KDrive.