Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm just building my new PC: Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (nForce4 sli chipset) motherboard with a 64bit Athlon. I'll be using it mostly for games, multimedia (mostly video conversion/burning) and the web ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lots of questions from complete newbie

I'm just building my new PC: Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (nForce4 sli chipset) motherboard with a 64bit Athlon. I'll be using it mostly for games, multimedia (mostly video conversion/burning) and the web and the reasons I want to try linux is partly to get away from Windows, get better performance out of my PC, to try something different and I've heard linux is better for security.

I'm thinking of getting Mandrake 10.1 - the free edition or powerpack but am wondering which distro (free is good but not essential) would be best for multimedia??

My main query is one of compatability with the motherboard (I thought I read somewhere that linux dosn't support the chipset) and with Windows XP. Does linux support NTFS? I've got two HDDs so would it be best to put Windows on one and linux on the other or partition a drive and put linux on one partion and windows on the other with the media files on the other HDD? Could linux use the media files from the Windows HDD and visa versa? I've just bought a router (D-link DI-604) for the first time; can I presume it dosn't matter which OS I use with this? last but not least - I've got a K6 400MHz so will want to network the two PCs (via the router I suppose); can I do this running Windows on one and linux on the other?

As you can see I know nothing.

Answers to any of these questions much appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    Any distro is good for multimedia, the things which don't follow you just install later.

Just Joined!
    The later kernels do support NTFS. Yep, it does not matter if its WindowsXP or Linux OS for the router to work.

Just Joined!
    All latest kernels support NTFS but for Windows XP/2003/2000 read only...:( Cuz M$ haven't released any info about their file system. I guess WinNT NTFS is supported read-write.

I use multi boot as well. I need win for some apps that do not run via wine and I use FAT32 for this purpose and it works fine.

As for the distro. If you want something really stable, fast and secure, go for Slackware or Debian.

I'm not really sure about it, but I think your MB is supported. Just try it, you'll see :)

Of course you can connect Win and linux over network, only it needs some linux samba configurations, but if you don't want to create some large network, with PDC etc, it's quite easy :))

Linux Engineer
    I think you can use progs to enable writing to any NTFS partition, but I would as daikatana mentioned use FAT32/VFAT if possible... I heard that NTFS write is slow as hell!

Linux Newbie
    If you're gonna do a lot of gaming you're gonna want to do that on Windows.
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help so far. daikatana - your post is very helpfull.

So it seems I'd be better off using FAT32 so I can read and write

I've read Debain isn't that easy for a newbie, to install at least. Don't know about Slackware. I'm certainly no geek so I need a user friendly distro to start with, something with a good graphical interface.

I'm thinking of using linux to connect to the web (probably with the 400MHz) for security and then transfering any files I might want to the new PC. Would the linux generally 'filter out' malware or it just carry the malware over to the new PC running windows?

Yeah, current NTFS write support means that all files must be the same size at the end as the beginning. Go with FAT if you want good support.

Debian's installer is definitely NOT newbie-friendly. In addition, you have to do your own partitioning. For a newbie-friendly distro, I highly recommend SuSE. It's a wonderful product, and worked great for me when I used it:

http://www.suse.com

To download the DVD ISO:

http://www.novell.com/products/linux.../ftp/eval.html

The current downloadable version is 9.2, 9.3 just came out commercially, and should be available for download in a few months.

As far as spyware, if you transfer anything, it will be transferred as is. Though Linux is not generally affected by spyware (due to a different FS and no support for .exe's), transferring through it will not necessarily get rid of your spyware. However, assuming that you don't transfer cookies or exe files, you should clear out a lot of stuff anyway.

Hope that helps!

Just Joined!
    That helps alot Cahban - thanks

--------------------
    'An eye for an eye' will make the whole world blind

Linux Engineer
    I think you will get something out of your prosessor as well, a friend of mine could run Counter Strike in Cedega on 500MHz...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast