Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed a copy of StarOffice that I had on a CD, but the icons are no where to be found. How do I add the icons to my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installed New Software, But Where Are My Icons?

I just installed a copy of StarOffice that I had on a CD, but the icons are no where to be found. How do I add the icons to my panel (if that's the right word for the linux 'start menu'.

I'm in KDE in Mandrake 10.0.

Thanks!

Scott

binaries must be in /opt/staroffice/program

Just Joined!
    Hmm. I don't seem to have an opt/office51/program folder. Could it be called something else? There are a bunch of files and folders under opt/Office51

Scott

Linux User
    Well, if you want to add applications to the KDE start menu, you can right-click on the taskbar and click Configure Panel. Once you're there, I believe, you'll need to go to the Menu tab. There should be an option to "Edit K Menu". You can add applications to the start menu from in there, just make sure you have the correct path to the applications.

-Edit-
    Forgot to mention the shortcut icons on the desktop. Just right-click on the desktop - Create New - File - Link to Application.

In your menu should be an application that (I think) is called MenuDrake. You can boot that up and add apps to your menu on your own. Just type in the command then choose a picture.

Just Joined!
    I guess that's part of the problem. I can't seem to find the file that starts the program. Windows uses .exe, what extension does linux use for the executable file?

Quote Originally Posted by chemikalguy
    Hmm. I don't seem to have an opt/office51/program folder. Could it be called something else? There are a bunch of files and folders under opt/Office51

Scott
    I am talking about folder, not your WM's menu

Code:
    cd /opt/*tar*ffice/program

Linux doesn't use any sort of file extension for executables. Rather, we use file permissions.

The other option would be to open your terminal and run:

Code:
    updatedb
    locate staroffice |less
    The first command updates your index of files. The second will display everyplace that "staroffice" occurs in a filename or file. The "|less" means that you can manually scroll with the up and down arrows. To quit the scrolling, press "q".

Hopefully you'll be able to find the file this way. StarOffice Writer, for example, may be something like sowrite, but it'll be in a StarOffice directory, methinks.

Just Joined!
    I assume that I'll have to log in as root because when I try the updatedb command, it tells me that I don't have permissions to run that command. I did the search command, but didn't find anything. I'll try again when I have more time. Thanks for the help.

It will be in your /opt/Office51/ directory. if you can't find it, do this:
    Code:
    whereis soffice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast