Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All! I know its pretty weird question. I have a server running few services like webhosting and few monitoring scripts on REDHAT 9. Now i want to remove that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro upgradation on running machine!

Hi All!

I know its pretty weird question.

I have a server running few services like webhosting and few monitoring scripts on REDHAT 9. Now i want to remove that redhat 9 and upgrade to some other distro like Fedora or any other whose update support is alive.
    sine i donot have any backup macine to shift my running services to it.
    Is it possible to upgrade system to other distro while keeping all the servces running during the process???

i can afford 1 or 2 restarts ...

To upgrade, you should only need one restart. And that is to boot with the dvd.
    Check www.distrowatch.com for Fedora Core. They also have SRPM's of RHEL for free, at distrowatch.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

The short answer is: probably not, unless the new distro provides some upgrade path

The longer answer is that you could prepare an image of a tested and configured distro using a distrokernel and copy it to a running machine (different partition/disc) and activate some bootloader for it and it takes 1 reboot if prepared properly. But that takes a different machine to prepare the thing. If you do not have such a machine (a simple machine could do if you are using a distro kernel for example )

Why not just send the people that are using your service an email, telling them that you will be down for an hour or so on a cetain day and time.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Yeah, you're basically gonna have to boot into the DVD directly, install everything, then reconfigure everything and restore backups if necessary.

As a precaution, I'd agree with budman; just let everyone know, then do it on that computer.