Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright so here's the question and I kind of need an answer pretty quickly (my boss is waiting hehe). Is there a way to change permssions on a directory and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing permissions

Alright so here's the question and I kind of need an answer pretty quickly (my boss is waiting hehe). Is there a way to change permssions on a directory and all its files and subdirectories (-R?) to a specific user? I'm logged in as root.

Ex: I have a directory called dir1 and a user named mike. How do I give read permission to mike on dir1 and all of its subdirectories and files.

Plz help!

Just Joined!
    Do you mean changing the owner of all the files?

If so, it would be chown -R USER:GROUP dir/

Just Joined!
    No owner, I just want to set the read ps for a directory called dir1 to a single user called mike. mike is not part of a group, he is alone. Is there a way to set it for a single user?

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1984
    No owner, I just want to set the read ps for a directory called dir1 to a single user called mike. mike is not part of a group, he is alone. Is there a way to set it for a single user?
    mike must be part of a group - all users have a GID associated with them. Usually it's a group with the same name as the user.

There's no way to allow a specific user to access files he doesn't own, you can set permissions at owner, group and world level. They're mutually exclusive, too, so it's possible to allow a group and the world to have access but prevent the owner from accessing files. Perverse, but possible.

Just Joined!
    if you want to give mike read only access to the folder and its contents, and no-one else (except root) can access it, do:
    Code:
    chown -R mike:mike dir1/
    chmod -R 400 dir1/
    p.s. from what i can see you have posted this topic at least 3 times, and your "waiting boss" must be asleep by now. thats bound to piss off the admins.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by scm
    There's no way to allow a specific user to access files he doesn't own, you can set permissions at owner, group and world level.
    Actually, you can do it with access control lists (ACL). Look at 'man setfacl', and 'man acl', especially setfacl.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Linux Guru
    locking topic, please dont cross post...

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-42558.html