Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Does FC have any sort of package management system? I think it's called Yum or something? I've never used FC before, so I can't really be of help with that... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Does FC have any sort of package management system? I think it's called Yum or something? I've never used FC before, so I can't really be of help with that...

But if it does, try installing wirelesstools with that. It should take care of dependencies and all.

If you can't do that, try:

Code:
    rpm -e ldconfig
    That'll remove whatever ldconfig you have installed (assuming it's from RPM). Then try installing the new ldconfig.

Just Joined!
    i think iv worked out whats wrong, it says i need to edit the file etc/ld.so.conf, by adding the line "/usr/local/lib/" to it, but i cant edit the file, it keeps locking me out and telling me i need to be in root, but im not sure how to login to root in kde file browser

Just Joined!
    when you login, that is where you login as root, user name root and password which you setup while installing, hope this helps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The other option is just to do this in a terminal:

Code:
    su
    <Enter root Password>

echo "/usr/local/lib/" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE >> AND NOT > !!

That will add the line automatically for you.

Just Joined!
    cheers Cabhan, thats worked a treat, hopefully this time i can actually get it working. Probably something else will go wrong though

Just Joined!
    Grrr, iv done everything that Cabhan and the Ndiswrapper site have said, and linux detects the card, has it setup for wlan0 and I am even getting statistics on wireless connection in KWifi Manager, but i still cant connect to the internet, whats going on, any ideas??

Just Joined!
    Try the following (i work for a broadband company and we use it to establish the problem)

Ping the following addresses

1: ping your router address (to see if the pc is communicating fine to router)
    2: ping 212.58.240.110 (ip address fro bbc web page, tests direct connection)
    3: ping www.bbc.co.uk (tests dns servers)
    4: go to in web browser 212.58.240.110
    5: go to in web browser www.bbc.co.uk

if you can only ping your router, either it is not connected to the internet or it has a firewall blocking it (most routers have a very basic firewall)
    -
    if you can ping and access 212.58.240.110 but not www.bbc.co.uk then you need to change your DNS servers
    -
    if you can ping but not access internet in browser some settings in the browser need changing

please post your results if you need further help

hope this helps m8

Just Joined!
    do you know how i can find out the ip of my router, i cant find the initial documentation that had it written down. i know that the router works and is connected to the net, as there are 3 other pcs here connected to it, but they all use windows xp. Plus hte laptop connects fine when i run a network cable out the back of it.

So there must be a way to get the ip, its a linksys 54mbit wireless router if thats any help.

Just Joined!
    i'm not too sure, most routers use 192.168.1.1 however not all do, have a look on 1 of your xp machines

click start > run type in cmd (or command)

then type tracert www.bbc.co.uk
    that will show you all the steps your pc takes to get to www.bbc.co.uk
    one of the first ones will be your router, hope this helps

other than that look on lyknsis site or try e-mailing them for tech support

Just Joined!
    hmm, you were right about the routers ip address, cheers for that. But when i try to ping the router from the laptop it says "network unreachable". So it seems the the card is active and broadcasting to somwhere, but obviously not detecting the router.

Thinking about it, i did set the router when i first set up the network to wireless g networking, but all my cards are wireless g, so would that make any difference?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast