Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
outside of that im not that keen on playing God at to high of a level, this is a set of machines that I have to hand to someone when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

outside of that im not that keen on playing God at to high of a level, this is a set of machines that I have to hand to someone when i leave here, and since redhat is using up2date i doubt they are going to switch, id rather not have to hand the next fool a contraption that says here, this is the backa*swards way I did it - it's been 2 years since the last admin left, and im still cleaning up his symlinks and "fixes"
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Engineer
    i have yet to have any problems with that. Though I was never a fan of rpms and basicly compiled everything from source. I can see where you wouldn't want to use that in a production enviroment but I think its great for personal use.

Linux Guru
    Well, I agree with the compile from source opinion. You get the software better customized to your system that way. However, I must say that unless you're really need the source for customization or something, RPMs are a convenient way for maintaining your system.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    i agree, i compile from source when i need to - otherwise RPM's are an easy way to maintain/upgrade/track - after all, that is one of the reasons FOR an rpm
    majorwoo

Linux Engineer
    I think what got me away from using packages was using debian and dselect. If anyone has ever used dselect, they know what I mean.

Linux User
    having not used dselect and being to lazy to google at the moment, care to elaborate?
    majorwoo

Linux Engineer
    Ugliest package manager you will ever find. I'm not sure how it is today since last time I used it was with debian 2.0

Linux User
    Oh i took it the other way, when you said debian and dselect got you away from packages, i thought you meant they got you away from RPM's implying they were better not worse.
    majorwoo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2