Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alrite guyz... i might have asked something like this... but i'm still unsure... I played around with suse on my laptop seemed to like it... just waiting for the 9.3pro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux at Work?

Alrite guyz... i might have asked something like this...
    but i'm still unsure... I played around with suse on my laptop seemed to like it... just waiting for the 9.3pro cd to come so i can install it..

my question is.... i wana install Linux at my work (ppl use our public terminals for internet and printing only) - how much should i know about linux b4 instaling a distro on these machines at work? (they are expected to alwayz be up and running and have internet and printing in working order...

please let me know what my possibilities are..

thanks in advance

if they are expected to be always up and running, in case of a crash who is going to fix it, more then one person or just you.

I would say its a good option but from a business stand point I would want the machines tested thoroughly before being put into use, especially if its a biz critical situation

Just Joined!
    i am the only person who will be incharge

I would first run suse (or whatever distro you were planning on installing) for a while to get familiar with it. Try configuring it as you would at work, so you know how to set up things like printing over networks and on various printers, etc.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    If you can - get a mock set up in some spare space. Try and get the hardware as similar as the setup at work and run the system trying to simulate possible errors and stuff. Basically - have fun playing

Linux Newbie
    I'd agree with what everyone else says. Get famililar with it first and maybe even train another person in case you're ever on vacation or something.

I've been playing with linux for a few months now and I'm almost going to ask my boss for permission to setup a domain with Samba with home directories and system policies and all that good stuff.
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.