Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
As most people here are, I am fed up with windows and have decided to switch to linux At the moment I am using Knoppix, I have downloaded and burnt ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distro? (have specific requests)

As most people here are, I am fed up with windows and have decided to switch to linux
    At the moment I am using Knoppix, I have downloaded and burnt alot of distros to cd but havent found what I am looking for yet.
    I have one major request, that my NETGEAR WG511 (version 1) has instant support in the distro, knoppix is easy as I only need to use wavelan config and netcard config. However, installing and using Prism54 and Ndiswapper are beyond me. The internet is ONLY accessable through this card.
    A second request is support for windows shares and windows printers, as i need to network to gain printer access.
    A third request is Gnome, although this doesn't really matter, fluxbox and kde are both fine, aswell as any others

So, which Distro will suit me needs exactly? Or atlest the first 2?
    Thanks

EDIT: I am running a laptop, 1.2ghz pentium 3, 256mb ram, crappy 8mb SIS 630/730 video card,
    Secondly: ubuntu boots but then the screen turns green and white with no further action - no idea why

Well, can't really help with the hardware stuff, but I've looked at your requests:

1) The Netgear card. Well, the issue is that most distros are fairly similar with this sort of stuff. If the kernel has support for hardware, it will work in all distros. That said, I don't see kernel support for the Netgear card in the kernel, but if it works in Knoppix, it will probably work elsewhere. Worst comes to worst, we can always help you install ndiswrapper. I've done it many times on 3 distros, so I know I can walk you through.

2) Samba servers allow access to Windows shares. It is available for all distros.

3) Gnome is just another WM, and is available for all distros.

So then, all that said, your distro choice is really up in the air. To beginners, I usually recommend SuSE, which I have found to be an excellent, very user-friendly distro. Once you're more familiar with Linux, you can always try out others.

Just Joined!
    Cheers

Although I might need to clarifiy, I need the Netgear WG511 to work pretty much instantly, or with minimal config, as it is my only link to the internet and printer, which are the two main uses of the computer.

Also, I am onkly on 512kps adsl, therefore more than 1 iso is quite a strain

I am going to try Yoper, will no doubt come back to post in order to assist me to reach my aims.

Cheers again though

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    imo
    defo not suse - i don't like it

fedora possibly - has everything you need (networking through samba) setting a static ip is easy which should allow you to connect to your netgear fine.

haven't personally tried mandrake slackware or anything like that as i can't install them in VMWare

mepis is a nice debian based distro from what i've seen but again havent tried it much.

i'd say to go with fedora?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by oh.bellies
    Cheers

Although I might need to clarifiy, I need the Netgear WG511 to work pretty much instantly, or with minimal config, as it is my only link to the internet and printer, which are the two main uses of the computer.

Also, I am onkly on 512kps adsl, therefore more than 1 iso is quite a strain

I am going to try Yoper, will no doubt come back to post in order to assist me to reach my aims.

Cheers again though
    As privatesniper suggested, I would say MEPIS would be good to try out. It's a Live CD, so, like Knoppix, you could run it off the CD and find out if your hardware is dectected and if you feel comfortable enough with that distro to install it afterwards. If you haven't already, I would suggest taking a look here: www.distrowatch.com

SuSE is a good one to learn off of, but that's just my personal favorite distro right now.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by soulbrothax831
    SuSE is a good one to learn off of, but that's just my personal favorite distro right now.
    soulbrothax831: are you on suse 9.3 and is it as full of problems as what i'm hearing suggests? i just don't like it personally

Linux User
    Nope, I'm running 9.2. I'm too low on funds right now to purchase an upgrade, so I'm trying to be patient and wait for the FTP download to come along. What kind of problems have you heard?

That's cool if you don't like it. You are entitled to your own opinion, so feel free to speak your mind. I'm not here to force a distro on anyone, just suggest...

Just Joined!
    I use distrowatch alot, have done for some years now
    Have downloaded Ubuntu, Suse, Mandrake (when it was mandrake), arch, cAos, ark. All of them bar ubuntu I installed (had major troubles with ubuntu), and didn't really like any of them. I.E Need a gui as standard, and some only had a max resolution of 800x600 due to incombatability with vga card, aswell as lack of support for my WG511.
    As for Live cd's, tried Knoppix, kanotix and mepis, all of which support the hardware but run slowly becuse of the age of my system, and also I think my dvd-rom drive is poor. I installed Mepis, but found problems somewhere, tried to install knoppix but that didn't work, although I do use an old version(3.6 I think)
    Yoper looks interesting, and apparently supports my WG511 without much config, so i'll give it a try

Just Joined!

Re: Which distro? (have specific requests)

Go to jakilinux.org, filll out the quiz, look at the comparisons. Maybe you'll find something interesting.

Just Joined!
    havent really heard anything specific, notice alot of problems on the suse section though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast