Find the answer to your Linux question:
Assuming I have a fully functional NIS/YP server setup, could someone please clarify for me when/if I should continue to use passwd? Unlike the only other post (from 2003) on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

When to use passwd and yppasswd?

Assuming I have a fully functional NIS/YP server setup, could someone please clarify for me when/if I should continue to use passwd? Unlike the only other post (from 2003) on this site that mentions yppasswd, yppasswd actually works on my server.

So should I never use passwd on the server anymore? Will it harm anything if I do? Right now, I'm under the impression that I can still use passwd if I'd like, but I need to remake NIS if I ever edit the /etc/passwd file.

Does yppasswd automatically update the /etc/passwd file or does it only update the NIS maps? I'm afraid of changing passwords with yppasswd, but wiping those changes if I ever remake NIS.

Hopefully my barrage of questions make sense.

Please help!
    -- Matt

P.S. -- I just tested yppasswd and found it to not touch my /etc/passwd file. This confirms my fears mentioned above. Also, I found one article that suggests removing passwd & replacing it with a hardlink to yppasswd, but I'm not sure if this was meant to be done only on the clients or not.

Just Joined!
    No takers?

I did a Google search for yppasswd. In the first 3 results were lots of info, including a man page for yppasswd. "man yppasswd" explains what you need to know.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I've already read the man pages for yppasswd (and several other articles I found via Google), and they don't really say much except "use it to change NIS stuff". This I already know.

I need more details regarding what I'm asking in my original post (comparison with passwd), not just a tutorial on the syntax of yppasswd.

Thanks! --Matt

In the man page it said that the network password can be different from the local machine.
    That would suggeest that doing a yppasswd would not affect the local machine.
    I think that is what you were after.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Okay, I had a huge long reply written, but wound up discovering what a friggin' noob I was in the process. My original post was a loaded question.

(Re-read my P.S. in the original post real quick.)

Even though I already knew this, on my own I just remembered that passwords are not stored in the passwd file anymore, but the shadow file instead.

I just did a yppasswd and sure enough, it does update the shadow file. I was under the impression that yppasswd only updated the password in the NIS database and that if I remade NIS, any passwords that had been changed using yppasswd would be wiped out in favor of the data contained in the local files.

All my confusion with yppasswd began when I tried logging on using several different usernames and passwords that I thought worked just fine prior to remaking NIS. Although I still don't know what happened to cause that, I just tested yppasswd and remaking NIS and it works as it should.

Man, I'm really sorry and wish I could delete this entire thread. Oh well, at least I posted the question in the right forum!!! hah Maybe some other newbie will benefit from it someday.

Thanks so much for your help, man.

You are welcome.
    I benefited from this.
    I never even knew yppasswd existed, maybe someday I will have a use for this knowledge.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ