Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wish to add MEPIS 3.3 to my present dual boot Win98SE & WinXPpro. Present status:- HDD Unit 0 (IDE1): Win 98 on Primary boot Partition Drive C: (hda1). Extended ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multi Boot Win98-WinXP want 2 add MEPIS

I wish to add MEPIS 3.3 to my present dual boot Win98SE & WinXPpro.

Present status:-

HDD Unit 0 (IDE1): Win 98 on Primary boot Partition Drive C: (hda1). Extended partitions Drive E: (hda5) and Drive F: (hda6)

HDD Unit 1 (IDE1): Win XP on Primary Partition Drive D: (hdb1). Extended Partition Drive G: (hdb5). Primary partition Drive H: (hdb3) NB This is an empty partition formatted in NTFS and reserved, hopefully, for Linux (MEPIS).

My problem:-

Presently booting into MEPIS from ROM but wish to boot from hdb3 (drive H) as above. When installing from within MEPIS I do not seem to be able to target this drive during the setup with any certanty and do not wish to have MEPIS installed on hda1 (Drive C: win98 & boot) or on hdb1 (Drive D WinXP) and thus risking corruption of these other 2 op systems.

Would much appreciate suggestions, especially as I am just venturing into Linux after too many years with MS. It's like a breath of fresh air.

Thanks
    :rock:

The partition hdb3 should be unformatted space. That way Mepis will see it, and give it as an option.
    At least that has been my experience with SUSE.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ