Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ty...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Im running Lycoris, How do I login as root?

Ty

We need more info.
    What happens when you type root into the space where you login as normal user?
    Do you have an automatic login and it just bypasses sign-in?
    Can you type su or sudo and provide a root password?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I don't know about him, but for me there is no way to log in the root under the gui. It HAS to be done via 'su' for me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by I_am_the_C_coder_FEAR_ME
    I don't know about him, but for me there is no way to log in the root under the gui. It HAS to be done via 'su' for me.
    That is what I always use too.
    I prefer not work as root in the gui.
    But if I use su in a terminal, su doesn't affect other things that are going on, just what I tell it to do in the terminal.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by I_am_the_C_coder_FEAR_ME
    You can change this in the KDM-config in kcontrol... But "su" is still the preferred way for me, often if the su-session is going to last for a long while, I login as root in vc/2 (ctrl+alt+f2).

Just Joined!
    ok when I typed su it prompted for a password and i typed in the password and didnt giv any error messages so I think it worked I want to install yahoo messenger but I dont understand how thats my whole problem

Linux Engineer
    For yahoo you can use GAIM, and from what distrowatch tells me lycoris is using RPM. The first step is to check if you allredy have gaim installed by opening a terminal and typing "gaim". If it can't be found, you willl probably have to fetch it from a lycoris respiratory or perhaps from the CD. If you find a RPM of GAIM built for lycoris, download it and run this in a terminal:
    Code:
    su -c "rpm -Uvh /home/user/gaim-xxx.i386.rpm"

Just Joined!
    it wont let me login at the normal login page, also I used the probally outdated Yahoo Tutorial on the Lycoris homepage. when I go to proporties it sais root is the owner which i think is the problem

Linux Engineer
    Start up a terminal as a normal user, and type the command I spesifyed above. Replace /home/user/gaim-xxx.i386.rpm with the location of the RPM file, even if it is GAIM or yahoo or some other package, and then type the root-password when you're asked, and the packae should get installed.

Just Joined!
    i installed it but it wont open,su -c "rpm -Uvh /home/michael/Personal_Files/rh9.ymessenger-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm
    thats the command I typed in and it didnt do anything on the Command thing it just had a > there I installed the Red Hat version I just need how to use it[/img]