Find the answer to your Linux question:
Newer than newbie. Don't get much yet. Knoppix 3.8 run from CD I understand that when my PS2 mouse is not recognized I can add "knoppix pci=irqmask=OxOe98" at the boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mouse not recognized

Newer than newbie. Don't get much yet.
    Knoppix 3.8 run from CD
    I understand that when my PS2 mouse is not recognized I can add "knoppix pci=irqmask=OxOe98" at the boot prompt. Please don't call me dumb, but at the boot prompt my keyboard isn't yet recognized and doesn't work!

Linux Guru
    This stuff is hard for everyone at first. If you can't use your keyboard at the boot propmt, that's a problem that's more important than your mouse. So what connects the keyboard to the computer? ps/2, USB, wireless? And if wireless, what connects the wireless receiver?

Also, if you need to enter anything that looks like "knoppix pci=irqmask=OxOe98" be sure and use zeros and not capital 'o'.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

Mouse not recognized

It's a USB keyboard. Now, the keyboard IS recognized later on in the boot, (tho' not the mouse) but apparently not at the point when I can enter stuff i.e. at the screen saying "boot _" and where I should be able at access options and help (F2 or F3)
    Thanks about the script. I knew it could be either O or 0 ut didn't know which.

[/quote]

Linux Guru
    In the Knoppix "Cheat Codes", the following is in the same paragraph as the command you mentioned:
    • Sometimes, switching to the text console with
      Control-Alt-F1 and back to the X-screen with Control-F5 solves the
      problem without rebooting, since the X server reinitializes the mouse
      driver during that procedure.
    You would do this after Knoppix has booted completely (or nearly so). Have you tried that?

The "X-screen" is the graphics display, as oppoed to the "text console" and the "X server" is the program that generates the graphics display. ctrl-alt-F1 (or ..F2 or ..F3) is the normal way of swicthing from GUI to text mode and ctrl-alt-F5 is, for Knoppix, the normal way of switching back. You don't need to log in at the text command line (although you can), you just need to do ctrl-alt-F5 to re-initialize the GUI.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!

Mouse not recognized

Well, the keyboard is working now - it was just the Bios settting for USB keyboards to work at post screens. I tried the "knoppix pci=irqmask=0x0e98" and also tried switiching from text to x. No difference. I'll try a Bios update next. If no luck, I'll run down to the store and buy a USB mouse, since that's what knoppix thinks it is.
    Thanks so far

Linux Guru

Re: Mouse not recognized

Quote Originally Posted by saddles
    If no luck, I'll run down to the store and buy a USB mouse, since that's what knoppix thinks it is.
    Whoa! No need to go overboard!

You could try this:
    Code:
    su
    (enter password when asked)
    ls -l /dev/mouse
    rm /dev/mouse
    ln -s /dev/psaux /dev/mouse
    exit
    'su' gets you root privleges. when you 'ls -l /dev/mouse' I think you will see that /dev/mouse is a symbolic link to a USB port. 'rm' will remove that link and 'ln -s' will create a new symbolic link so that /dev/mouse will then point to where your mouse is. 'exit' undoes the 'su' and puts you back to a normal user.

Of course you will do this after having done 'ctrl-alt-F2' (or Fwhatever) to get to text mode. After doing the stuff above, go back to the GUI ('ctrl-F5') and finally, reset X with 'ctrl-alt-backspace' just for good measure.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'