Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all.. I would imagine every linux user will get this question often so I hope no one will be pissed if I ask this again.. ^^" okay I'm currently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving from Windows

Hey all.. I would imagine every linux user will get this question often so I hope no one will be pissed if I ask this again.. ^^"

okay I'm currently thinking of moving to linux. I've used linux for a transient moment in the past so I know some of the basics.. However I still found myself moving back to windows in the end...

It wasn't because I thought windows was better or anything.. it was because I can't find the programs I used for windows or an alternative to use in the linux envrionment..

So I was wondering if anyone would know any linux programs I can use in place of these windows programs..

1) MSN Messenger ( To chat online )
    2) Microsoft Active Sync ( To sync my pocket pc with the comp )
    3) Nokia Phone Manager ( To sync my nokia phone with the comp )
    4) Bittorrent ( To download stuff )

Thanks alot for all your help..

OK I'm not sure of them all but I'll have a bash at it:

1) gAIM, Kopeat, aMSN all let you use msn
    4) For a bittorent client I use azureus
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    2 and 3 are going to prove difficult I think.
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

Linux Engineer
    I've seen a program for syncing your Nokia with Linux, but I don't remember its name. Anyway, in KDE there's a generic program for syncing mobiles, but it has a lot of technical settings, I tried with my Siemens, but so far it didn't work .

Anyway, a quick search with Synaptic - god i love that :
    kmobiletools (KDE)
    kdepim3-mobile
    wammu
    gnokii (Gnome)

PDA syncing tools should also be available in the repositories.
    Synaptic gave me this:
    synce-kde
    multisync
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys! I'll go read up on those stuff that you reccomended..

erm borromini... what'sthis synaptic thing you are talking about? ^^" sounds really good for searching..

One more thing... using linux have you all ever like wanted to play windows games? are there any nice games produced for linux? Because I'd hate to use windows and have to leave all my games behind.. especially since people like to play all those great games like warcraft or counterstrike..

Is the only way to play windows games to use WINE? even so is using it effective? because its only an emulator right?

Linux Engineer
    Synaptic is a graphical frontend to APT, an application which can download and install thousand packages from different respiratories plus its dependencies if you wish... There is also a search function to find which packages you want to be installed/removed. For instance, with my current respiratories in ubuntu, there are a little bit above 16 000 binary packages available over APT.

As for games, to play the more popular ones you could use Wine, but I find it easier to dual boot (besides 2 linux distros I still have XP on my harddrive). But there are a lot of cool linux games as well, my favourite being FreeCiv. Oh, and Frozen bubble is addictive as hell...
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    hexen, heretic, doom, quake have all been ported to linux. ut2004 works natively on linux.
    some good free linux games are cube, freeCiv, frozen bubble, jump n' bump, tux racer.

theres heaps more on this forum and elsewhere.

Just Joined!
    Hey man thanks guys... although I dun have much of an idea of what jaboua is talking about haha, I think I'm almost ready to give linux a second try can't wait! Hope this time it will be my major system instead of just a minor one..

Just Joined!

u can load win xp or what ever os u had snd play ur games by

u can load win xp or what ever os u had snd play ur games by u can download or buy VMware it lets u load win xp,98,95 whatever and play the game why linux is still runing it sweet i had the same problem till i found this great program i hope this will help you

later~ :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast