Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
From my own personal experience . . . It's going to be a learning experience and there IS a lot to learn. Just take it one step at a time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

From my own personal experience . . .

It's going to be a learning experience and there IS a lot to learn. Just take it one step at a time and accomplish several small new tasks (like setting up etc/fstab or yum.conf or installing from source) and eventually you'll build up your experience. Dont get discouraged!

Welcome
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

I've found that installing software gets easier over time, though occasionally you'll hit a big problem. The key is to learn as much as you can about your distro's package management system.

As a rule of thumb, I've learned to install big packages as binaries (pre-compiled code) and smaller ones with few dependencies, I like to compile from source... it's just my preference. There are no hard and fast rules.

Packages will install across different distros, but I really like the trend for package management systems like 'apt-get' and Mandrivas urpmi ... I'm not so familiar with Slackware's system, though I hear it's okay.

So stick with it, and things will work out as you gain knowledge and experience. The learning curve will soon flatten out and you'll never go back to using Windows.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2