Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have been searching & reading all kinds of suggestiosn & trying most that seem like they may work for my situation, but i still can't get either of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't seem to get a dual-boot to work

hi, i have been searching & reading all kinds of suggestiosn & trying most that seem like they may work for my situation, but i still can't get either of my two laptops to dual boot winxp & linux FC3. i will just detail my acer laptop details as it is the laptop i use linux on most of the time at work but there are times i need to run winblowz for a couple of propietary apps that only run under winblowz.

so i have been installing winxp first then using PMagic i set-up the rest of the hard drive. i use the first primary partition for winxp, second primary partition for linux, fir extended partition for linux swap & last extended partition for a vfat32 shared data disk (for linux & winxp).

at my bootup screen i do see my winxp install as a choice for booting to when i choose it it looks like it is boot winxp o but then comes back with the error 'xmnt 2001 program not found - skipping autocheck' & 'autochk program not found - skipping autocheck' & then it reboots & goes back to the grub bootloader menu.

here is the output of 'fdisk -l' from linux's perspective...

[root@localhost ~]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 892 7164958+ 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 2878 4152 10241437+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 893 2877 15944512+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 893 964 578308+ 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda6 965 2877 15366141 b W95 FAT32

Partition table entries are not in disk order

to me (linux n00b btw) it looks like how i wanted it all set-up.

here is what the latest version of my /boot/grub/grub.conf looks like. i have tried quite a few different set-up options for winxp in here without any luck.

default=0
    timeout=60
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=FC3 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    title WinChuncks
    map (hd0,0) (hd0,2)
    map (hd0,2) (hd0,0)
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    chainloader +1

any help or ideas would be appreciated.

if you are reinstalling windows, why use partition magic at all? Simply try this. save all your data and reinstall windows. When you get to the partition setup screen, setup windows for x GB of space and leafe some space for linux. e.g. if you have 80G hdd, then allow for say 60G lwindows and leave the remaining 20G free.

Now, once windows is setup, insert the FC3 cds and proceed to install FC3 on the empty space n yur hard drive, and install grub onto the MBR

And I second what AlexK says because my first thought when I read your post and saw that you had used PM was that that may be the problem. I've used PM's competitor, Partition Commander and have had nothing but trouble when mixing Win and Linux so I no longer waste my time using except on Win only boxes.

There may be some other solution to your issue but I don't know what it is. I did a quick google of your error messages and see that it is indeed related to Partion Magic and there are a lot of posts about it!
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close