Find the answer to your Linux question:
A filesystem fails a check on startup. I run fsck manually and get the message: Error reading block xxxxxx (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in a short read ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fsck help!

A filesystem fails a check on startup.

I run fsck manually and get the message:

Error reading block xxxxxx (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in a short read ) while doing inode scan. Ignore<y>?

I get this over and over again for different blocks.
    I tried No and it just takes me out of fsck and I tried YES but they keep going on and on forever.

Please help.

Just Joined!
    did you try e2fsck? is your filesystem ext2 or ext3?

Linux Guru
    Well, I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but it seems that your hard drive has crashed. Try running "e2fsck -c" on the partition to make sure.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

fsck help!

I ran e2fsck -c and it seems to have done something. The filesystem has come back up but changes were made during the run.

Should I worry about some of the files being corrupt?

Should I worry about the disk going completely bad relatively soon?

Linux Engineer
    You should worry about the disk going bad soon. I suggest backing up all your data very soon. What e2fsck did is mark those blocks bad so they won't be used again.

Linux Guru
    At the very least, download the ide-smart utilities from http://lightside.eresmas.com/ide-smart-1.4.tar.gz and let them S.M.A.R.T. test your hard drive for failures. Even if they return all positive, though, the risk might stil be there. However, when you change disk (which I guess that you should), make sure to have ide-smart running in a cron job to test your hard drive(s) for failure conditions at a regular basis. S.M.A.R.T. isn't perfect, but it's at the very least a basic precaution IMHO.