Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know, this is borderline, but figure this is the group of folks who mightl know. I do a lot of audio and video stuff for myself and my family. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using QEMU to access Software RAID 5 array

I know, this is borderline, but figure this is the group of folks who mightl know. I do a lot of audio and video stuff for myself and my family. I also have a rather unusual networking setup. Long story short, when I try to run Linux as my primary OS, I usually end up reinstalling Windows after a couple weeks because there are still holes in what I can do. That isn't the fault of Linux as much as folks who write device drivers or have video codecs that require DirectShow.

However, the big thing I really miss from Linux that keeps me trying to find a way to convert is the support for Software RAID 5.

It occured to me yesterday that perhaps the trick would be to use QEMU to run Knoppix or Damn Small Linux under Windows, and then setup a RAID 5 array under one of those. Not to mention then having access to Linux for some other fun stuff.

I'm not sure if that's even possible, and if it is, how much trouble I would have moving files around to and from the RAID array if it's setup that way. So I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever tried this?

TIA,
    Ewan

Just Joined!
    Impossible, unknown, or just a really crazy idea? Am willing to do the work to try it out if no one else already has, but would hate to reinvent the wheel here if someone else already has a magic solution figured out.

TIA!

Just Joined!
    I managed to get this working, although I had to use coLinux rather than QEMU to do this.

All the pertinent info can be found at:
    http://a1.blogspot.com/2005/08/step-...aid-using.html

Hope that folks find this helpful!