Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
You could always give what LondoJowo and others are suggesting and nuke all the partitions then try again; since you basically can't use the system now, at least you don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You could always give what LondoJowo and others are suggesting and nuke all the partitions then try again; since you basically can't use the system now, at least you don't have to worry about breaking anything.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    can you tell me how i would "nuke all the partitions "???

You could try this: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux User
    the fedora bootloader makes it so that you CAN NOT boot up windows :-/

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic

Booting CDs comes from the BIOS, which would read the disk before booting the bootloader on the HDD. And I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Fedora users that would disagree with you there. Most users dual boot.

Linux Newbie
    Keep linux, I say!

In all seriousness, consider yourself blessed. To a beginner, the task of installing and configuring linux is almost insurmountable. Even for experienced users this can sometimes be tricky. Most people who want to learn linux are faced with this gruesome ordeal that you may not have to go through. Linux is already installed, and, depending on how well the previous owner configured it, might be just waiting for you jump right in. You'd be able to learn at an easier, more relaxed pace and enjoy the functionality of your system right away. All you need to do is get the root password from the original owner.

That's my 2 cents.

Just Joined!

Format hard disk

Search google for killdisk and burn the iso to cd then bootfrom the cd and erase all partitions its that simple and then just re-install Linux or windows but i suggest Linux because its really really good.

Linux Newbie

Re: Format hard disk

Quote Originally Posted by MRnux
    Search google for killdisk and burn the iso to cd then bootfrom the cd and erase all partitions its that simple and then just re-install Linux or windows but i suggest Linux because its really really good.
    A low level format is totally unnecessary. All he has to do is figure out a way to boot the Windows XP disc, which he is going to have to do anyway. The partitioning tool included in the installer can be used to put everything in order.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by much help needed
    can you tell me how i would "nuke all the partitions "???
    I have had those problems too..
    What I did was download powermax on an other computer from the maxtor site here..
    Prepared the floppy with it and ran the floppy on my own (broken) pc.
    Selected 'format the first sectors on the HDD' (takes while) and after that I could install winXP again.

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    What he means is that you can't install the MBR provided with windows (or at least something that's got to do with the MBR..) if you previously used fedora with it's bootloader
    it's true and a realy nasty bug :/

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhann
    What he means is that you can't install the MBR provided with windows (or at least something that's got to do with the MBR..) if you previously used fedora with it's bootloader it's true and a realy nasty bug :/
    I don't believe this at all. Windows XP will overwrite any data in the MBR regardless of what it is, I believe. Windows 2000 won't touch the MBR unless instructed. Both systems can be specifically told to format the MBR. With Windows XP I believe you boot into a recovery console and run a command like fixmbr (older versions of windows utilized fdisk /mbr). This has always worked for me, and I have run Fedora and performed the fixmbr routine successfully.

Is there something I don't know? Perhaps I don't understand what the real problem is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast