Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by eatinglemur Originally Posted by Zhann What he means is that you can't install the MBR provided with windows (or at least something that's got to do with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by eatinglemur
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhann
    What he means is that you can't install the MBR provided with windows (or at least something that's got to do with the MBR..) if you previously used fedora with it's bootloader it's true and a realy nasty bug :/
    I don't believe this at all. Windows XP will overwrite any data in the MBR regardless of what it is, I believe. Windows 2000 won't touch the MBR unless instructed. Both systems can be specifically told to format the MBR. With Windows XP I believe you boot into a recovery console and run a command like fixmbr (older versions of windows utilized fdisk /mbr). This has always worked for me, and I have run Fedora and performed the fixmbr routine successfully.

Is there something I don't know? Perhaps I don't understand what the real problem is.
    even fixmbr won't work..

There was a bug in Fedora that causes the hard disk geometry as
    reported in the partition table to be altered during installation.
    Don't know if this bug still exists.. it did in FC3. I'm now using FC4, but haven't changed to windowsXP yet (and won't), so don't know if the bug still exists

Linux Newbie
    That is unusual. On my laptop I was unable to boot my system because, after installing NetBSD, the disklabel had been altered in a way that didn't match the real geometry of the drive. NetBSD had determined the geometry wrong. I booted from the CD and edited the disklabel manually to match what the BIOS detected, and it booted fine after that.

Just Joined!

Re: Convert Linux to XP....Please help

I tried to install XP, by booting from the cd but nothing happens. Please help.
    are you sure you have the booting cd installation for windows? I have windows xp pro and windows home edition (sp 1) and they cannot boot your machine unless you have 6 boot disks. Your cd may work in a windows operating system but this doesn't mean it is a boot cd-rom.
    Go to this link http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310994 to download the software you need to create the boot diskettes for your cd ( you must know the right version of your windows XP) read the instructions and good luck. let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    the fedora bootloader makes it so that you CAN NOT boot up windows :-/
    That was just with FC 2. There was an issue there where using Parted created partitions in a way that led to existing Windows installations unbootable. I understand the problem is fixed now...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie

Re: Convert Linux to XP....Please help

Quote Originally Posted by much help needed
    I was given a Dell PC and it has Linux on it. I have no idea how to do anything!!!! I can't even login. Therefore i'd like to convert the box over to XP.

well...............get suse, mandriva, or unbunto..........they are as easy as windows...........time to learn linux
    regards,
    ordoni

While I agree that it would be beneficial for him (or any of us) to take the time to learn, it doesn't help him with his problem to tell him to keep linux.

Have you looked in the BIOS to see whether there is an "installation" option? Some Dell BIOSes limit your ability to install an OS (mostly servers) unless you switch a BIOS flag; you could also try enabling/disabling the Plug & Play OS option if it's there.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Newbie
    Have you looked in the BIOS to see whether there is an "installation" option? Some Dell BIOSes limit your ability to install an OS (mostly servers) unless you switch a BIOS flag; you could also try enabling/disabling the Plug & Play OS option if it's there.
    How can the machine tell that a certain bootable media is an OS?

It doesn't; it limits system resources in a particular way so that installations can't succeed (I don't remember the particulars, as it's been a while since I've dealt with it).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Newbie
    That's really bizarre. On my compaq, Windows XP installations always fail for some reason, and I can't figure out why. The CD boots, and the installer loads, but then it just sits there and does nothing. I've been able to install both linux and Windows 2000 with no problems, though...it just takes issues with XP discs.

Just Joined!
    MUUUUUHAHAHAHHA!!! took the hard drive to work and re-imaged thee focker! and it's working fine now. many many thanx people.

focker out!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3